Bandsaw suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shayne

New User
Shayne
I am just starting to think about acquiring a bandsaw and was wondering if anyone had some suggestions. I'm looking for something that isn't too expensive, maybe $200 or less, but of course I would like something of better quality that will last more than a few projects.

I noticed some good buys a Sears this past weekend, I was wondering if they are any good.

Thanks in advance

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
First, you really need to decide what you want to do with the bandsaw and post it here. At the low end of the price range, you really have to pick the saw to match your needs.

But here's some thoughts.

I think it is going to be pretty difficult to find a new saw that is any good for $200. You'll probably need to look for a used or a reconditioned one.
As far as sears is concerned, and this is a personal prejudice, I won't buy power tools with the craftsman name anymore. While there is a tool here and there that is good, you never know how long they will be made. All craftsman tools are made by somebody else. Who is making them today and who will be mnaking them tomorrow is anyone's guess. I've been burned too many times lately.

Let us know what your requirements are, resaw, curves, wood thickness, etc.

Monty

New User
Monty
Of course, what you need depends on what you want to use it for, as Steve has said. People have prejudices against Craftsman, but I will say this - if you buy from Sears, make sure you know what you're getting. They do have some pretty good things (for example they have a 2-1/4 hp router that is EXACTLY the same as the Bosch 1617) but they also have some seriously flawed tools as well.

I would suggest researching and learning all you can about the various features of different bandsaws. Things like power and resaw capacity are obvious, but you have to dig a little to figure out details like what kind of bearing guides the saw has, or does it have a quick tension-release lever?

Don't let me insult your intelligence, but if you're just learning you might find this article useful (even though it's a year old):

Bandsaw Tool Test from American Woodworker​

I know I learned a lot from that very article, and others like it.

Having said all of that, I have heard that lots of people are happy with the Grizzly G0555 14" bandsaw - in fact, it got the "best buy" award in that article.

It's -- well... it's kind of close to your price range... OK, it's double your price range... sorry! :-?

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
That is a great article. In fact, I believe insom pointed it to me when I was looking for my BS. That article and some one on one input from toolferone, helped make my decsion.

So insomniac, if I forgot before, thanks for steering me in the right direction.

BTW, I know there are other people out there with strong opinions, so let's here them

Jonz

New User
Chris Jones
I have the Grizzly G0555 and have had zero problems with it. That being said, I don't have 500 hrs on it, and I'm not a production shop, so I don't put a lot of demands on it.

cskipper

Cathy
We have a good band saw, but I want the smaller blade on it and my husband wants a bigger blade. He does bigger stuff - ripping lumber... I would be using it for finer cutting, trimming pen blanks... I have been told that I want one that I can set the tension manually and to stay with main brands. Does anyone have opinions (what a silly question) about benchtop bandsaws-pros/cons, suggestions about specific ones?

woodguy1975

New User
John
cskipper said:
We have a good band saw, but I want the smaller blade on it and my husband wants a bigger blade. He does bigger stuff - ripping lumber... I would be using it for finer cutting, trimming pen blanks... I have been told that I want one that I can set the tension manually and to stay with main brands. Does anyone have opinions (what a silly question) about benchtop bandsaws-pros/cons, suggestions about specific ones?

I had the Ryobi benchtop BS and it was a fine little saw. I'm sure the delta or the Rikon 10" would be a decent one as well. I've heard to stay away from the 3 wheel saws, but never used one. I wouldn't worry too much about finding bands. Folks like Woodcraft Bands up in Blowing Rock will custom cut blades to any length for you.

Thanks,

John

Last edited:

CarpenterDad

New User
Terry
You really need to consider what type of sawing you will be doing. Small saws are meant for small projects. They are low power, low capacity and low speed. For occasional use I have heard that the Ryobi 10" does a great job. Woodguy is right about the 3 wheels, one was given to me and the only use I could find for it was propping open the shop door on a hot day. I have also used some 14" saws that were very cheap: poor power, poor guides and poor tensioning. The cabinet shop I work for has a 14" Delta that is a very competent machine for just about all band saw work that one might do in a small or home shop. I was spoiled while working in furniture factories as I tend to compare everything to the 20" & 24" saws that we used. If you want lots of power, capacity and smooth controlled cutting you have to pay for it. If not then a smaller saw may be for you. If you can, I recomend trying before buying. Try to cut something similar to the biggest project you intend to make and that will tell you wether or not the saw will work for you. I hope you find the right one.

Steve D

Steve DeWeese
I agree with carpenterdad, if possible try it with the items you work with. If all you are cutting is pen blanks, just about anything will do. If you plan to rip or re-saw anything substantial you will immediately notice the difference in machines. I've never regretted the purchase of any of the higher end tools that I have bought. Unfortunately, many of them replaced low end tools that I did regret buying. Trying to push a small machine to it's limits not only means poor results, it is dangerous. I have the Powermatic 14" bandsaw and have been very pleased with it.

Steve D

Ryan

New User
Ryan Sellers
I agree with the fact that you get what you pay for. But I have the Central Machinery 14", 4 speed bandsaw which is sold by Harbor Freight Tools. It can be found for around $250. I have used it to resaw oak planks that needed the maximum 6" resaw height, and it did a beautiful job. The 1 hp motor slowed a little, but it never stalled. Once I replaced the stock guides with Cool Blocks and tuned the whole machine up, it runs better than the brand new Delta we had at school. I figured it would be a "starter saw" to use until I saved enough money to buy a Delta or Powermatic, but I can't find a good reason to sell it and pay $800-$1000 for a "name brand" tool. It is ready to accept a riser block (The Grizzly riser block for their 14" saw fits it) or a fence system (drilled and tapped holes on the front of the table). Go to harborfreight.com and look it over. I think you'll like what you see, including the price tag!

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I've got the Griz. 0555, and am very happy with it. I would like to get the riser block, but just haven't have a project to justify it yet. It sounds like for the $200 range Ryan's suggestion might be the way to go. I have heard good things about many HF tools, and many bad also, but their return policy is great. Dave:)

Shayne

New User
Shayne
Thanks to everyone who replied, especially insomniac for the link. That article was exactly what I was looking for. I think I have convinced myself to seriously consider either the Grizzly G0580 and the G0555. From what I can tell from their website there are three main differences, the motor size (3/4Hp vs 1Hp), the included fence (it looks like the G0555 might be better) and the price $85.

I am new to woodworking and in the process of building/stocking a workshop. Right now my plans are to build some pieces of furniture for around the house.

Thanks again for everyone's input. If anyone has a better analysis between the G0580 and G0555 it would be much appreciated!

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Don't know about the 0580, but my 0555 fence works really good, so far I haven't needed to adjust it for blade drift, and I've had all the power I've needed so far. Dave:)

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
Unless you find a used one go ahead and cough up another 200.00 and get the Grizz G0555. I bought one 2 yrs ago. It's probably all the BS you would need unless you do this professionally.:icon_thum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS