Bandsaw Repair parts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

smallboat

smallboat
Corporate Member
I seem to recall a resource being mentioned here off and on over the years.
My rudimentary search skills aren't turning anything up so I'm hoping someone will chime in with the info.
All I recall is there's a gentleman in Florida who is everything bandsaw related.
Manuals, parts, knowledge- maybe more.

Reason for the request is I've damaged the tensioner on my Delta 14".
Pulled on the quick release to tension the blade and it seemed stuck.
I backed off the tension knob and swung the lever again and something went pop (small bang?)
Now no tension to be had.

Haven't had a chance to dig into it yet but figured I'd line up the resource for new parts once I know what I need.

Still don't know why this happened everything was working correctly a few days earlier.
No hint of trouble.

Maybe I'll find a clue when I get it opened up.

thanks for the help.

Dee2

Board of Directors, Vice President
Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
904 8422802

Louis is his name.

Sometimes you can get lucky with KALLL@comcast.net

4636 Fulton Rd, Jacksonville Fl 32225-1332

Just happen to have the catalog next to me while watching the masters. Of course, I've finished two platters and am ready to add surface coating. One oak and one walnut today. Suggestions?

Last edited:

smallboat

smallboat
Corporate Member
Thanks-
I emailed to see if there are times to call or avoid calling.
Seems like the kind of guy who doesn't let the business interfere with more important things.

If I don't hear back I may ask to get a look at your catalog Mike.
Then at least I'll know what I'm asking for.

Thanks for the follow up.
We'll see where this goes.

Dee2

Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
Save your self some time and just call.
M-F, 10:00-5:00 EST.
You won't be disappointed. Tell Lou what happened. Let him help you with diagnosis.

Dee2

Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
For an idea of who/what you are working with, google map the address. He works out of his shop next to his house.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Yes, call him. He will know what you need. Go ahead and ask about what upgrades
will make you saw run better than new. Spend a couple hundred and you’ll
be very happy with your new saw.

Oh, get the catalog/manual/history book. You will enjoy it.

Dee2

Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
Catalog comes with an order, if you ask and sometimes if you don't.
Keep it for reference. Not much changes year to year, but just a lot of good bandsaw information.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Be sure and get the catalog. It is more like a tutorial on Band Saw Maintenance & setup rather than just a catalog. Well worth having as a reference.

smallboat

smallboat
Corporate Member
Bad news good news.

Talked to Louis Iturra last week. Nice guy, very helpful.
Up to the point where he said he had never seen that part break and confirmed it was discontinued.
He gave me the Delta part number for it and cross referenced the other saws on which it was used.
Also a couple recommendations on where to look for a stray one that might be floating around.

No luck.

Good news is when I asked how I was going to get hold of one of his catalogs since there was no part for me to order, he just asked for my address and sent me one.

Arrived today- great resource- now I just need a saw.

Since the broken part only concerns the quick release on the tensioner, I'm contemplating just bypassing it and using the knob for tensioning and relief.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Steve,
What broke?
a spring, a casting?

Can it be welded, machined, re-manufactured etc.?

If it is a 14" Delta, we all might have a worry - I realize Louis said it is rare, but MANY people on this site know mu luck...

smallboat

smallboat
Corporate Member
Hank-it's the cam that toggles the tension on and off when you turn the quick release lever. The cam has a post sticking out one side (parallel to the axis) that the cam follower rides on. The post is what broke.
The cam /post end of the part is definitely cast. I can see the witness line from the mold as well as the grainy internal structure where it broke. The rest appears smooth probably a secondary machining process.

i doubt i could could repair it in a way that would stand up to the force involved.

I do know a machinist who can probably make me one. Just need to catch up with him.

FWIW. Luis has all the other parts that comprise the tensioning system. Just not this one.

nn4jw

New User
Jim

Attachments

• 419MADN67GL.jpg
    419MADN67GL.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 174

tbone321

New User
Tom
You might want to look at Renovoparts.com. They re manufacture parts for Delta equipment and if it exists in any way, they will have it. I broke the bed release lever on my around 20 year old Delta model 37-195 6 inch jointer and the Delta site listed it as obsolete. The problem with most of the online parts houses such as ereplacementparts,com is that they only sell what is still available from the manufacturer so unless they happen to have some old stock, you are SOL. This company makes there own and had the release lever. It was not cheap and seems to be made out of better materials than the original part. I also ordered parts for my Delta tenoning jig which were also listed as obsolete from Delta. If you can't find them, post the part number and I'll see if they have it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS