Bandsaw Purchase or give up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cpowell

New User
Chuck
Tried the Delta 28-475X, big time vibration problems.

All the reviews said Rikon 18. Ordered the new model Rikon. New Rikon tensioning/tracking design bites, IMHO, and I just can't buy something that I know is WRONG. Will return to dealer.

So, thinking aloud...is someone trying to tell me to forget about a bandsaw (I currently only have a 9 inch Delta for scrap cutting)? Am I always going to find problems in every bandsaw I get and just be disappointed?

Should I go to Woodcraft Saturday and buy a different saw during the 10 percent off sale? Jet, Powermatic?

Should I wait until the WW show in Charlotte and look at the minimax/laguna? I like what I have heard about the minimax but have never seen one. Or get a different manufacturers deal at the show?

I've never been to a show. Am I likely to find a great deal on a bandsaw there? Better than the Woodcraft deal?

I do NOT want to get another saw and spend 5 days dissecting the problems. If the Delta I got the first time around didn't vibrate so bad (never mind the nickel test, it failed the hammer test), I would have kept the Delta. I found the setup to be fast and accurate.

I am definitely gunshy right now. But I also just filed my taxes and Uncle Sam owes me a very nice refund. Shouldn't some of that be spent at the WW show?

My wife told me it's not meant for me to have a BS, buy a planer! :lol:

hpetty

New User
Hugh
Chuck,

I just purchased the Delta X5 14" BS with the riser blocks to give me plenty of resaw capacity. Since I haven't even uncrated it yet I can't give you a full review. But I made my decision based on the 10% off, plus the Delta Rebate, plus the free mobile base. I was down to the Powermatic and the Delta X5. IMHO the Delta got the nod over the Powermatic... but then some people like Fords, and some people like Chevys.

It probably won't help you much, but I'll post a review in another week or so after I get mine setup, tuned and broken in.

Ozzie-x

New User
Randy
Sorry to hear that Murphy is prevailing in your bandsaw endeavors. If you finally get a good one, you'll love it. I use mine constantly. I'm not a Delta fan any more, but my newer Delta is fairly smooth and quite with very little to no vibration, maybe I was lucky. You may want to keep an eye out for an older saw. My previous BS was an older Delta from a school shop and it was great. If you're thinking big BS, the older Delta/Rockwell industrial BS's are nice, I think they're ~20" throat. They work great for big resawing and such.

Monty

New User
Monty
Well, you obviously wanted a big saw, since you got the Rikon. You may be happy with a 14" saw, but I didn't want the resaw limitation or the added hassle/expense of a riser block, etc. I was seriously looking at the Bridgewood before I got my Rikon, and I think the Grizzly's have been getting good reviews although I don't know that much about them. I would not advise getting a Jet... people I know who have them are generally just not happy with them. All the major brands... Ford vs. Chevy... pick which color you like best! ;-)

Now if you want a SERIOUS resawing tool, then without a doubt, absolutely nothing else you look at will compare to what the MM/Laguna's have to offer. They're in a separate league. The only way to appreciate this is to take a good look at them at the show... or talk WG into letting you try out his MM! :icon_thum

Steve D

Steve DeWeese
I bought the Powermatic 2 years ago at the Hickory WW show and have been very pleased with it. I picked it over the Delta because it had more features for the same money and the people from Jet/Powermatic were very helpful. The Delta sales guys couldn't be bothered. If I were doing it over right now, I would buy the Grizzly if budget were a major concern and the MM / Laguna if I could swing it. Virtually everything in the lower end saws is coming from Taiwan and many from the same factory. They'll have a lot of common castings and parts but they QC specs may be tighter on the higher end items.

Ozzie also brings up a great point with an older saw. You can get a lot of saw for your money and they are built like tanks. Yes, you can typically get good deals at the shows.

M

McRabbet

Chuck -- Insomniac hit the nail on the head regarding the larger saws -- the Mini Max MM16 and Laguna 16HD are superb saws, but quite pricey at about $2,000 each -- there is a good review of them versus the $800 Jet JWBS-16 in the October 2004 Woodworker's Journal (PM me if you need a copy).

My choice? I own a Grizzly 14" G0555 "Ultimate" bandsaw with a riser block and like it for most cutting, but it is somewhat underpowered for large cutting -- for a larger resaw capable saw, look hard at the 17" Grizzly G0513X which has a large table, 12" capacity and 2 HP/220V TEFC motor delivered for under $1,000. The 19" Grizzly G0514X 3 HP saw is only $200 more.

Rob

Mountaincraft

New User
William
Band saws are notoriously finicky to the practical engineer. Think surfing. Learning the tool is it. Having the tool adapt to you is impossible.

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
Sorry to hear about your bad luck. Go ahead and give Pappa Griz a call and order the G0555. Get the riser block too. You won't be dissapointed.:icon_thum

DavidF

New User
David
A friend of mine has the Laguna and gushes about it everytime I speak to him:mrgreen:

sapwood

New User
Roger
1) Don't give up :!:
2) Decide whether you want a BS with a riser or a larger one designed for resaw.
3) Wait for the best deal, whether it is a Laguna, Grizzly, Powermatic, Delta, Ford, Chevy, etc.
4) Take it back if you aren't satisfied

As one who is engineering/mechanically inept, I gotta agree with Mountaincraft about the BS PITA factor. It's a tool I love to use, but frequently become frustrated setting up. :eusa_shhh

And did I say, don't give up! :mrgreen:

Sapwood

cmartinson

New User
chad
Mike Davis said:
When I was 23 YO a co-worker gave me a 12" Delta BS because it vibrated so bad. I took it home and looked it over real good. I decided to take the wheels off and have them ballanced at a friends machine shop. That and a new pully on the drive wheel made such a big difference he wanted to buy it back. Since I got all the work done free and spent only a couple hours on it I finally gave in and traded it to him for some parts for my truck.

Here lately I seem to be rebuilding everything I buy. Quality has gone way down on everything out there. If I could find a big old WWII bandsaw I would get it and tune it up. I think the old stuff was made to last and will probably still be in good shape 100 years from now if well cared for.
This is exactly the culprit for vibration. Almost every bandsaw needs to be balanced. It costs extra but well worth the investment no matter what brand. Consider planes, you can find used Stanleys that need cleaning and tuning but when your done they are the best or you can buy a Lei Nielson and use it out of the box, but if you tune the Lei Nielson you will definitly notice the difference. IMHO

hpetty

New User
Hugh
I'm anxious to see how my new Delta X5 performs "out of the box". I will of course do the setup and adjustments, but I'm curious to see how smooth it runs as shipped.

BTW, what is the official NC Woodworker test tool - dime, nickel or quarter? :lol: :lol:

R

rickc

hpetty said:
BTW, what is the official NC Woodworker test tool - dime, nickel or quarter? :lol: :lol:

I see you assume we even HAVE a dime, nickel or quarter! Woodguy disease is EXPENSIVE to live with!

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I think you hit the nail on the head. Is it worth tuning up/modifying or is it more than you want to put into it. I have read a lot of articles on just about every machine out where someone had a problem with one including the Minimax, Agazzani, and Laguna.

The three named are awesome, but I have no doubt they have their quirks and issues at times as well. The handplanes discussed are a good analogy. I had a record and thought it was junk once I got a Lie Nielsen and once I realized I needed to tune up the record it is now very nice to use tool.

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
hpetty said:
I'm anxious to see how my new Delta X5 performs "out of the box". I will of course do the setup and adjustments, but I'm curious to see how smooth it runs as shipped.

Paper dollar with CA glue

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
:laughing4 :rotflm: Good one Steve. I am going to take George out to my shop right now and test all of my machines.

cpowell

New User
Chuck
I'm not giving up yet. I've talked with Rikon tech support. I'm gonna give em a week to tell me what the "fix" is. If I don't like what I hear, there's a WW show coming up in Charlotte in 11 days!! Maybe I'll look at Minimax?

Mike Wilkins

Mike
Corporate Member
There has been lots of talk on every woodworking web site that I visit on the subject of bandsaws. I owned a Delta 14" machine for many years and had absolutely no problems with it. But I got the itch for something bigger with more power and resaw capacity.
I went with the Laguna LT18 in August '01 and sold the Delta. Mucho power with the 3 horse powerplant, foot brake. The big cast iron wheels give a flywheel effect, helping to pull those 1" blades through thick timbers like a hot knife through butter. The newer versions have 18" resaw capacity where mine has 12". Were I to have to get a new bandsaw, I would go with the same machine without a second thought. I know the bandsaws in this category are pricier, but I will never have to upgrade to a larger machine again.
I am not a Laguna salesperson, just a satisfied customer.
Good luck with your decision and watch those fingers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors