Bandsaw Power Feeder Installation

Status
Not open for further replies.

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
Last week Curt (woodydiver) so graciously came by and installed a phase converter and variable speed controller for the power feeder. Thanks Curt! :icon_thum I owe you one!

Today was the day ... after the Invicta jointer pickup (for Travis, not me) ... Scott & Travis came by my place

Scott so generously put his skills to work and installed the power feeder on my bandsaw. Can't say enough how appreciative I am... definitely not something I could have pulled off myself! I owe you one, too! :icon_thum

PeteM also stopped by to watch the install and the first pieces resawed with it.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
How easily can the PF be removed so you can utilize the full BS table? Or will this be a dedicated resaw machine?
Dave:)

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Dave, the short answer is "not very easily"...

The power feeder is a real hoss - must weigh over 100 lbs and the spring tension requires a strong bolt down installation.

Jeremy - glad to help out! I know that you'll enjoy the resaw capability of your bandsaw!

Scott

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
OK, so you use power tools so you don't have to do the sawing yourself. I get that. Tiring work, this manual labor thing. But then you install a gizmo so you don't even have to push the stock through? What's next, buying ready-made furniture at the store? :)

Pretty slick setup - and three cheers for the NCWW MacGuyver team.

BTW - is that a gratuitous Fesdrool in the last pic?

Jon

New User
Jon Todd
looks great Jeremy. Did you buy some elves with that B-day money ? All of that nice equipment you're gonna need some

:lol:

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
How easily can the PF be removed so you can utilize the full BS table? Or will this be a dedicated resaw machine?
Dave:)

As Scott mentioned, not very easy. It's only attached with six bolts, but before I can take those out I think I have to remove the tension so it doesn't whack the blade. For a while I might have to figure out how to remove it when needed ... until I can another little bandsaw to put back in my shop (I've got my eyes out).

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Jeremy, there is no need to remove the spring tension before removing the power feeder - simply unbolt the four bolts on the mounting pedestal and remove it.

If you remove the fence, you will need to realign it when you reinstall it so that each end is parallel to the miter slot. You could probably make an easy jig out of wood to make this quick work!

The cast iron table top is not real thick, nor real thin; my only concern with repeated removals would be the potential for the threads in the tabletop to get weak and strip out. I threaded the holes so that they would have a 75% thread engagement to the bolts, which offers more holding power than the standard 60%, but there is still only about 5/16" of thread depth for a 3/8" bolt.

If you really need to remove and reinstall the power feeder a lot, I would recommend the installation of a couple of dowel pins in-between the table and the mounting pedestal, so that they would take up some of the lateral loading and allow you to reduce the torque on the mounting bolts. The pins could be a slip-fit into the table and a press fit into the bottom of the pedestal, providing you with a flat table when the power feeder is removed.

Bas - the "gratuitous Fesdrool" is mine - they really make a sweet small cordless drill and I used it to drill the holes through the cast iron. I guess that I've been remiss in my gloating posts! :lol:

Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS