Bandsaw or planer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toddler

New User
Todd
I'd have said bandsaw first because you can do almost all your planing at once before the project, so it's easier to go someplace and have it done. The bandsaw work occurs during the project. That's why I bought the bandsaw first, although only by a couple of months.

However, given a neighbor with a bandsaw . . . .

Todd

MikeH

New User
Mike
I would have to say a planer would be before a bandsaw although I have a bandsaw and no planer. The only reason I have a bandsaw is because it was given to me. Now if I can only get someone to give me a planer. :eusa_danc

Anybody???? :rolf:

KurtG

New User
Kurt
bandsaw-planer? bandsaw-planer?
bandsaw-planer-jointer? bandsaw-planer-jointer? :bconfused

Boxman

New User
Matt
Thanks very much for all the good advice. When I was putting my initial shop together a little over a year ago, I thought the last tool I would need would be a drill press. Around that same time I was given a bench-top drill press as a gift, and was shocked at how often I use it!

For this reason, and also since everyone seems to be "pro-planer", I'm going to trust your advice and try to acquire one. I'm still probably going to get the bandsaw, but I may get a less expensive one, in order to afford the planer.

Any leads on a decent benchtop planer under $250?

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Keep an eye on Craigslist and the member buy and sell. IIRC, a member recently had one up for sale on the site for $75. I don't think it is still available, but patience (something I lack) can land you some good deals.

For the bandsaw, one of our members I believe has one for sale at a good price.

Boxman

New User
Matt
After careful consideration, I've seen many replies that advocate "planer" but then hedge on ways to get around the bandsaw question (e.g. use a jigsaw to get-by).

I'm looking for ernest commitment - if you had to toss one on the scrapheap - and only use the other for the rest of your woodworking life - which would it be?

MikeH

New User
Mike
After careful consideration, I've seen many replies that advocate "planer" but then hedge on ways to get around the bandsaw question (e.g. use a jigsaw to get-by).

I'm looking for ernest commitment - if you had to toss one on the scrapheap - and only use the other for the rest of your woodworking life - which would it be?

Ok Matt if you put it that way then I guess I would have to say keep the bandsaw. You can do a lot more things with it than the planer. Planer has one duty and that is to make a flat surface.

Just my $.02

Thanks,

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
yeah, a really good bandsaw.... and I would eat a lot of spinach so my arms could handle all the handplaning....

Keye

Keye
Corporate Member
I have a planer I use almost everyday. I have a $900 bandsaw I use whenever my wife wants to cut a rawhide dogbone.

Buy a planer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors