bandsaw HP

TBoomz

New User
Ron
how much HP is too much for a bandsaw? My 30" bandsaw currently has a 3PH 1.5HP motor on it and has been sufficient for most tasks.
but doing big cuts or resawing for "veneer" slows the pace down a bit. I have a 10 HP motor, [somewhere's about], and want to know if it would it be safe to use. The wheels will take about a 1.5" inch blade.

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
I wouldnt say its a safety issue, overkill , sure. The only way it would be unsafe is if the RPMS didnt match from one to the other. 3450 vs 1725 for instance. blade traveling 2x as fast as it was designed. If this is the case, you could manage that by changing pulley ratios.

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
Power transmission might limit how much HP you can use. Do you have multiple belts on your present set up? My tablesaw has a 2 HP motor and has 3 belts. Your 10 HP would need at least that many, I would think. You also need to have very sharp bandsaw blades if you want to resaw thick stock.

Roy G

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Today's v belts can handle a lot more HP than the cotton core belts that were standard when the Unisaw was first made. A single blt can easily handle 5.0 HP. Ten HP is truly a case of over kill.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS