Bandsaw Help

Flute Maker

Mike
User
I have an older delta/Rockwell bandsaw I have used some in the past …just whenever I needed it which wasnt a lot. It has worked very good in the past. Hasn’t been abused !
Ive changed the blade maybe twice. I need to again. I took the old one off and put the new one on but the new blade won’t track and stay on.
I have little experience with troubleshooting the ins and outs of what’s wrong.. Where’s the best source online or who can point me in the right direction as to what to look for setting up the new blade. I didn’t have a lot of trouble before. Thanks in advance!

If I turn it manually it stays on but powered up the blade comes off.

Last edited:

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Sounds like the tires need replacing. I just did that on my porta band big difference, big improvement.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
I get them from Amazon because of my location others may chime in with better recommendations to local outlets. I would get the polyurethane tires they work well.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
Glued on and properly crowned neoprene rubber tires will last for decades. Poly tires will last for several years before the blade tension stretches them loose. Its your time and money and choice.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
You didn’t mention it but does this saw have a riser block?
Sometimes they can easily get knocked out of alignment and that can cause the blade to track off center.

rcarmac

Board of Directors, Secretary
Robert
Staff member
Corporate Member
How do you know when the tires need to be replaced.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
Like they say, no pictures, didn't happen.
1     tires - 1.jpg
A really bad and worn tire

1     tires - 2.jpg
same tire with a new crown.

1     tires - 3.jpg
a couple of worn out tires that need re-crowning

1     tires - 4.jpg

1     tires - 5.jpg
Another Delta poly tire, newly crowned on the left

And below is a study I did in 2006 on those hateful orange poly tires. It turned out that modifying the tire to fit the groove went a long way in restoring a crown.
1     tires poly - 1.jpg

1     tires poly - 2.jpg

1     tires poly - 3.jpg

1     tires poly - 4.jpg

1     tires poly - 5.jpg
Here's a poly tire compared to a rubber one. The rubber will grip the wheel much tighter. That said, I still glue on all my tires when I'm doing a Delta 14.

1     tires poly - 6.jpg
Tire thickness difference.

..this post was probably TMI

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
Over the decades, I've bought many a Delta 14 for very short money because the sellers wouldn't address the tire issue.

Linc H

Linc
Corporate Member
Like they say, no pictures, didn't happen.
View attachment 204847
A really bad and worn tire

View attachment 204848
same tire with a new crown.

View attachment 204849
a couple of worn out tires that need re-crowning

View attachment 204850

View attachment 204851
Another Delta poly tire, newly crowned on the left

And below is a study I did in 2006 on those hateful orange poly tires. It turned out that modifying the tire to fit the groove went a long way in restoring a crown.
View attachment 204852

View attachment 204853

View attachment 204854

View attachment 204855

View attachment 204856
Here's a poly tire compared to a rubber one. The rubber will grip the wheel much tighter. That said, I still glue on all my tires when I'm doing a Delta 14.

View attachment 204857
Tire thickness difference.

..this post was probably TMI
Bob, Not TMI, really learned something here on crowning. Thank you for sharing!!!

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS