bandsaw for sale anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

caryncbreeef

New User
cary
I am looking for a 14" bandsaw, a decent one at least. I am considering the Grizzly polar one, about $475 delivered. But am open to suggestions. All the 10" look like junk, Lowes Porter Cable(?) is nice and heavy but missing important feature (roller bearings) and Klingspores has a great deal on a Jet 10" but read not so good reviews bout that one. ANy help?? Cash in hand

Mike Camp

New User
Mike
If you are looking at ever doing any amount of resawing I would definitely say 14" is your minimum. Before I picked up my 1948 Delta/Rockwell 14" from a fellow ncwoodworker (I still need to restore it) the Grizzly g0555p was at the top of my list. I really liked the option to add a riser block later on if I needed to resaw larger items and it got great reviews on Amazon and lumberjocks. By the way welcome to the site and feel free to start a thread introducing yourself.

Deeptree

New User
William
I am looking for a 14" bandsaw, a decent one at least. I am considering the Grizzly polar one, about $475 delivered. But am open to suggestions. All the 10" look like junk, Lowes Porter Cable(?) is nice and heavy but missing important feature (roller bearings) and Klingspores has a great deal on a Jet 10" but read not so good reviews bout that one. ANy help?? Cash in hand

I just purchased one myself, and spent a lot of time looking around. I kept putting it off, because I wanted one with a strong motor and a good resaw capability. I am just cheap, and didn't want to pay the $2,000 price tag. I wound up getting the Rikon 18" 2.5HP (Model number: 10-345) when it went on sale @ Woodcraft last month, for $1049, with a free fence. Originally, it was $1,899. Albeit, it is not the best saw in the market, but the size, power and price were definately up my alley, for my level of expertise. I am resawing 16/4 oak with a 1.25" carbide blade and am VERY happy with the results. Very smooth, very consistent...great adjustments. Might be worth looking into.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
I have the Grizzly G0555P and couldn't be happier with it. I think it has one of the better price / performance ratios. I like the fact that it has roller bearing guides and a nice Cast Iron table. Decent dust collection with a 4" port. I got the re-saw fence with my purchase and it works well. With a 1/2" wood-slicer blade I can re-saw up to 6" wide pieces and used that to make several Maple and Walnut jewelry boxes.

If I want more re-saw capacity later I can always buy the riser block kit for it in the future. So far the one time I've needed to re-saw an 8" wide piece of wood I just used a good Disston Rip Saw (The piece was only a foot long.)

- Ken.

caryncbreeef

New User
cary
I have done a lot of looking, reading, kicking the tires. Seems the smaller saws, Rikon, Jet, Crafstman, Delta, etc (10") most people seem to hate. The older ones, were ok, as I had a few, but the new ones are lousy. Lowes $399 job is a nice heavy saw but doesnt have roller bearings!. Jet's 10" got terrible reviews, there is a floor model for $219 I saw, while it is a great price, only if it works well. Now the larger Rikon and Jets look really nice, and I have heard much good about them,m but a grand is out of my range. I have read a lot of good stuff about the Grizzly, is comes with a bunch of stuff and the support is there. I guess I will by the polar bear series, and save the shipping (almost). Does anyone know if it comes assembled or do I need the lift gate service. I just figured if it was in pieces I could open the box and lift the stuff down. THanks for all your suggestions and comments. I feel welcome already!

Jim Roche

New User
jim
Save the liftgate service, I'm sure you could round up a couple of us to help off load to save you a few bucks. I'm around a lot and live on the edge of Cary and would be glad to help you unload it. If you work it out, just send me a PM and we can work out the details.

Jim

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
Cary - what are you hoping to do with the saw and what is your budget $-wise ?

A 14" saw is pretty much the hobby shop standard for bandsaws - capabilities versus price is good.

I would not buy a brand new saw unless you can locate positive reviews - Grizzly 0555-series gets them. The Porter-Cable 'saws seem too new to have much of a track-record.

I am partial to the old Delta 14" (I have two) - but you'd have to be patient.

BTW, what do you mean by "roller bearings" as in "..a nice heavy saw but doesnt have roller bearings!"

-Mark

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Gather your cash, and watch CL. You must have CASH, as it's KING on CL.Sometimes it's month between Delta 14" band saws popping up, and then BOOM there are several. Some here have paid as little as $100 for a Delta 14" with "bad brushes," which can be cured by merely pressing in the little red reset button. Over the last twenty years, I have paid $200 for an open stand Delta with riser, $350 for inclosed stand Delta with riser, And $65 for a 1940's 14" Delta. I wouldn't put too much stock into roller guides though.

caryncbreeef

New User
cary
I meant roller guides! thanks for the offer about "lift gate service" what am I hoping to do? I make a couple of different products, some out of 4/4 ash, and a new one a lamination of 1/16" maple which needs to be cut precisely for bending, plus I am sure I will do resawing (have lots of cedar logs) and more!

CDPeters

Master of None
Chris
Cary -

I just bought the G0555p recently, with the 6" riser block. To answer some of your questions:

1. The saw will come assembled, mostly. You will have to assemble the stand, and install the table/fence and riser block if you buy one - pretty simple really. I picked mine up at the UPS terminal in my pickup and moved it from the truck to the shop my myself - but it would have been easier with another pair of hands or 2. My shop does have a "dock" at truck bed height, so that made things much easier.
2. I like the power on this unit - 1 HP plus 2 speeds changeable by switching the drive belt inside.
3. I use a 5/8" x 0.025 x 4 tpi hook blade for resaw. It works just fine - a more expensive Woodslicer would probably work better, but the results are acceptable for what I do with it. I have resawed up to 8" red oak on it with no problems. I built my own resaw fence after a design by our own Bill Clemmons.
4. You will want to fabricate a shopmade crank to fit over the tension knob.

My $0.02 worth - FWIW
C.

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
I meant roller guides! thanks for the offer about "lift gate service" what am I hoping to do? I make a couple of different products, some out of 4/4 ash, and a new one a lamination of 1/16" maple which needs to be cut precisely for bending, plus I am sure I will do resawing (have lots of cedar logs) and more!
You mention making "products" - are you making production runs ? You may find the common 14" saws too limiting for commercial work. They are designed primarily for curve-cutting and can resaw albeit slowly. There are some exceptions like the Laguna Tools 14" saw, but it is in a totally different price class ($1400+).

For commercial work, I'd be looking at a saw for resawing and a separate smaller saw for curves. No-one has invented a bandsaw with fast blade changes yet and time=money in a commercial environment.

Regarding roller-type blade guides: unnecessary in my opinion. Block-type guides work as well and do not accrete resin from pine and other resinous woods like roller-guides do.

-Mark, who has roller-type blade guides on his Hitachi resaw and block-type guides on his two Delta bandsaws.

caryncbreeef

New User
cary
Success

JUST GOT a beautiful OLD Craftsman 12" , all solid metal, from his great grandfather. needs new tires but runs well. $50!
also got a huge heavy craftsman tiller $100!

He also has for sale a nice regular craftsman table saw medium duty brand new. but the treasure is an old Dewalt radial arm saw, the real deal, looks like the model over at capital city but just smaller. $200 he wants for it. it is on CL somewhere he said

Deeptree

New User
William
Re: so which one would you choose?

I found this on ebay http://www.ebay.com/itm/Steel-City-...ultDomain_0&hash=item5d30dfc5fc#ht_2620wt_929

a steel city 14" 3/4" hp granite top for $529 delivered
or the grizzly polar for about the same

any suggestions from you seasoned pros out there??

So...my $0.02 on the Steel City. I purchased a Steel City 6" jointer from Woodcraft a few years ago. While I liked granite top, and the helical cutting head was what REALLY sold me on it...I soon came to regret it. The quality of the product was OK...the base was horrible, but the adjusters and backplate worked very well, which is all that really matters I guess. I just hated rolling it around and feeling like it was going to tip over. It is also very noisy...because the base is made of much thinner metal. I put some rubber padding inside the metal panels of the base, along with several bags of portland cement poured into kitty litter pails (it is much denser than sand)...and that took care of my tipping problem...but I had to rework some plastic sheeting to get dust collection to work properly. Now...the issue came when I went to order new blades for the helical head. Woodcraft stopped carrying their models, because customers were having problems getting basic parts from Steel City...from belts, to bolts, to cutter head...and...blades. So, I decided to go the direct approach and order from Steel City. I called them...got a call back a couple of days later...placed the order for a set of blades...and waited... .. ... and waited... ... ... and waited........... :BangHead::BangHead::BangHead: . Then I called again...3 weeks later...and was told that the blades were on backorder from the manufacturer. 2 more weeks and my blades showed up. They still had the manufacturer's sticker on them, an Italian company, and they were 2 short in the box.

So... long story for my point: I won't buy Steel City again because their customer support and supply chain sucks...and my inside source @ Woodcraft, says that is exactly why they quit carrying their products. I don't know if this helps, but I hope that you get better support out of the Grizzly!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS