Bandsaw dust collection

AllanD

Allan
Corporate Member
There was a recent thread on adapting dust collection to bandsaws but didn't find it on a cursory search. So I thought I might add to the options with the setup I did. The tee from the floor comes from my Clearvue in the basement. I attached one duct to the factory fitting at the bottom but fabricated the other to pick up just below the table. I used rare earth magnets which hold extremely well and allows me to remove easily if needed like to tilt the table. The photos also show two additional baffles I mount on the front and inside to the left of blade which really concentrates the air flow. It works extremely well.
IMG_4464.jpgIMG_4462.jpgIMG_4466.jpgIMG_4465.jpg

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Through floor. You are so lucky!

We need one more feature. That is a air jet that sits right below the table and would blow the dust out of the teeth. Not sure how powerful it needs to be. I am working on that idea for the table saw as so much dust is carried all the way around and out the top. I am thinking a small turbine may do it.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
What's up with the romex hanging down waiting to bite you? If it's dead then you should remove it. If not then at least cap it off.

Charlie

Charlie
Corporate Member
Through floor. You are so lucky!

We need one more feature. That is a air jet that sits right below the table and would blow the dust out of the teeth. Not sure how powerful it needs to be. I am working on that idea for the table saw as so much dust is carried all the way around and out the top. I am thinking a small turbine may do it.

I have tried that on my table saw using a jet of compressed air. I did not work.

AllanD

Allan
Corporate Member
Good eye Fred, I forgot that was still there. It was a temporary issue when the saw was in a previous shop.

I haven't tried compressed air on the blade but there is the brush attachment beneath the table that the blade goes through. I agree about the convenience of having duct work come from the basement, both the dust collector and air compressor reside there and it is much more enjoyable.

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
Allan, I agree with Jeremy, I would love to see pics of the rest of your shop...your shop floors look awesome! My floors are concrete, but they have an amble amount of glue, paint, finish and who knows what else. Thanks for posting.

AllanD

Allan
Corporate Member
I will take some photos this week and post. At least the areas that are not stacked with junk that is. The floors are ash. I got a good deal at the time, 2 or 3 years ago, from Wall Lumber in Mayodan.

Bear Republic

Steve
Corporate Member
Looks like you have the bottom pretty will covered. Only thing left would be to route another hose/nozzle to the top of the table to catch any remaining dust on top. Depending on what you're cutting it might be more in the way so making flexible would be the best. When I get around to ducting mine I'll share.

AllanD

Allan
Corporate Member
Interestingly, I don't see much sawdust left on top of the workpiece. I would guess some of that benefit is from the tremendous air flow from the 5 hp Clearvue cyclone.
I have been real happy with its function on all my machines. However, I want to add some type of hood around my miter saw. They are always the most difficult to capture dust from so even though I have a 7 inch duct to it I still have sawdust build up on the saw. Thankfully, I think most of the really fine dust that is expelled around the miter saw gets sucked up.

Keye

Keye
Corporate Member
I may be the one who posted the BS dust question. Bas was the one who helped me re find the video. The dust collector is mounted on a Jet 14", with bearing and thrust guides. Not sure if this freed up room for what this guy did but it will not work on my Delta. I am going to use your's as a guide and I think I can make it work. This will save me a lot of time and grief.
Interestingly, I don't see much sawdust left on top of the workpiece. I would guess some of that benefit is from the tremendous air flow from the 5 hp Clearvue cyclone.
I have been real happy with its function on all my machines. However, I want to add some type of hood around my miter saw. They are always the most difficult to capture dust from so even though I have a 7 inch duct to it I still have sawdust build up on the saw. Thankfully, I think most of the really fine dust that is expelled around the miter saw gets sucked up.
Please send me a picture of what you do for the miter saw.

AllanD

Allan
Corporate Member
Good luck with it Keye. Certainly the most advantageous place to extract dust on any bandsaw is right under the table as the blade exits the wood. Even if you just cut away some metal and attach a fitting with magnets it should be beneficial. The 45* fitting helps also so you don't have any tight bends.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors