Bandsaw Considerations

SabertoothBunny

SabertoothBunny
Corporate Member
I went through this same process last year. I settled on the 14bx, mainly because of it being a little beefier and available in 220. I also like the layout and table height of the Laguna best. Which brings up another consideration, ergonomics. Most of the saws listed are very similar and I believe will perform alike as well. Try to get some hands-on with as many as you can to make sure you like the way things are laid out and how the controls/fences/etc work. There are differences. Klingspor has the 10-326 and 14/12 on display for a side by side comparison or take Scott and some other members up on getting some touchy feely.

Good point. I was at the Falcon's children's home wood shop this weekend (volunteer there some) and saw they have a couple of Laguna 14-12 so I may test those to see how they handle what I am trying to do.

SabertoothBunny

SabertoothBunny
Corporate Member
I bought a Jet jwbs 14 sfx. It is a steel frame bandsaw with 13 inch resaw capacity and a 1 3/4 hp motor. I've had it a couple years. It works on a 20A 120V circuit like my other power tools. I've resawn cherry and poplar up to about 8 inch thickness so far entirely satisfactorily. I tried a 1/2 blade first but quickly switched to a 3/4 and I like that better. It seems to track better. The upper blade guides are easy to adjust but the bottom ones are more challenging. But I rarely mess with them. I set them up initially and I don't think I've changed them, even with a blade change. My Jet came with a tall resaw fence which really helps. It has good dust collection. No complaints. I was looking at the Rikon and Laguana but I saw the Jet on sale for $1000 and bought it.

I think other people have said this but 20A 120V circuits use larger gauge wire than 15A 120V circuits. If your wire is big enough, it is as simple as swapping in a new breaker but that would be surprising. If your wire is 14 gauge as I suspect, it will mean you need a new circuit for any larger power tool. I have 2 20A 120v circuits in my shop and a 15A light circuit. Many here will say that isn't enough but it works for me. I use the second 20A for my "2hp" DC. The difficulty in adding a circuit is basically that you have to figure out a way to get the wire from your breaker box to where you need the power. I added the second 20A by taking out a strip of drywall in my car garage and waferboard in my shop garage to drill the holes and run the wire. It wasn't terrible but isn't super easy either. Many want 220V power and it is not any harder to run a circuit or two for that but the wire will cost a little more. Outlets cost more too. I think 120V tools work fine but a 3 hp motor certainly has more power than a 1 3/4 hp motor.

If you have the space, I would keep the Wen and keep a smaller blade in it. I have 1/4, 1/2, and 3/4 blades for my Jet but I do not like changing them so the 3/4 pretty much lives in the saw.

Yeah, I think the WEN is staying for light duty work once I get the bigger saw. I keep a 1/2" blade on it just because it does everything I need and changing blades is a pain.

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
I think am keeping the WEN at this point, it is a great tools honestly. It actually is higher rated than most of the name brands in the 10" category. That saw is ideal for slicing up small stuff and doesn't have a large and it really wasn't too much money. A better saw at a lower price than name brand this time.
OK, be that way. ;-))
You can never have too many bandsaws!!!

Mountain City Bill

Mountain City Bill
Corporate Member
I have a Laguna. I hate the ceramic guides because it's a pain to adjust them. Two different size wrenches are needed.
I'm thinking of replacing the guides with something better. Not sure what that entails.

Echd

C
User
I have a Laguna. I hate the ceramic guides because it's a pain to adjust them. Two different size wrenches are needed.
I'm thinking of replacing the guides with something better. Not sure what that entails.

Is yours an older style? My guides are toolless. The only tools needed to service my 1412 are a screwdriver if you want to remove the throat plate.

RedBeard

Burns
Corporate Member
I have the rikon 10-326 and love it. I had the 14-12 and sold it after about 6 months. I didn’t like the guides, table wasn’t flat, and the table is lower than most. I’m 6-2 so that was a problem for me. All that said, given the number of people who swear by them, if that’s the one you decide on I think you’ll be happy. I bought it used so I didn’t have much recourse for correction without having to pay out of pocket. If I had the space and budget I would have gotten an 18” but the 326 has handled everything I’ve thrown at it so far.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS