Bandsaw blade welding repair, where not to go

Status
Not open for further replies.

skysharks

New User
John Macmaster
I have done business with this establishment in the past.
Called them up over a month ago to see about having a 2 Lennox trimaster bandsaw blades repaired.(They had broken and just needed to be re-welded.).
I was informed that they would have to trim off 1/8th inch on both ends in order to weld them. I told them no problem I could handle 1/4 inch short of the length.
I was also informed that they could not guarantee the weld. But I had them weld other blades before for me with no problems.
I had also sent in 3 saw blades for sharpening.
Well it took a bit for them to complete the order. I paid them and brought everything home.
Now I live in Eastover (Fayetteville) with gas prices trips can be a bit, especially at 13 MPG. (My problem, I know)

Got everything to the shop and proceeded to install one of the blades on my Band saw.
Blade number 1 would not fit on the saw. No matter what I did this blade was too short. Suppose to be 131 1/2". I measured it and found out that it was 129 3/4". With a sickening feeling I tried the other blade. It too was short, but I was able to get it on but it was tight.
Now I inspected the welds themselves. With a straight edge on the back side of the blade, spanning across the weld , It was very evident, even without my glasses that this was far from straight. Not only was the weld not straight it wasn't completed, and there was a good size piece of slag latched onto one of the teeth.
On the other blade, same problem as far as being straight, but not quite as drastic. The weld looked ok as far as being a solid weld, but there was now 2 broken teeth that were not there before.

Man I was hot. I had one blade that was useable but only for rough cutting, and the other totally unusable.

I called the shop up. I explained what I found and Kevin said that he would have to see the blade. Another trip to Raleigh to only confirm that Yep the blade was now way to short. I let them off the hook on the other blade, but not the one that they cut way too short.
I understand that they couldn't guarantee the welds, but this wasn't only the welds, it was the quality of the work and attention to detail.

Kevin said that he would order another blade. He finally does and says that he would split the cost with me. I could have stood my ground and probably should have, but accepted the offer. I informed Kevin that I wanted my orginal blade back. It wasn't that old, I had only used it for maybe 1 1/2 to 2 hours of total use.

So new blade comes in. I tell Kevin that, I or my brother would be up there to pick up both blades. So back up to Raleigh for another trip. Guess what? magically only the new blade is available for pickup. They can't find my original. Are you serious. So payment is made for the new blade. ( No offer for a refund for welding the 2 blades, even though the problems were found).
It has been almost another week gone by and I still have not heard where my original blade is at. And I do want it back. I can take that blade and have it shorten for another band saw. After all at $160-$170 for this blade that was almost new I want it back.

I know who I will not be doing business with again.
This customer service outright sucks. Not guaranteeing a weld is one thing, but rendering a blade unusable is another.

Now I am not sure if I'm allowed to mention this company's name here. So If you want to know where not to take your bandsaw blades, drop me aline and I will tell you.

Jeremy Scuteri

Jeremy
I don't see why we wouldn't be able to give company names for honest reviews/experiences (good and bad). That seems like valuable information that the entire community can benefit from....

Jeremy

BWhitney

Bruce
Corporate Member
I agree with RonJ103 (Jeremy). We as a group should be able to advise the group members of both good and bad service.

skysharks

New User
John Macmaster
I didn't want to name the establishment out right, for fear of upsetting our harmony here on this site.
I believe that quite a few of our members do business with this establishment.
I will not be one of them after this plays out.

I did find out yesterday after repeated calls ( four) that they threw my blade out.
I was hot, more like I was ####ed off.
I figured since they had rendered the blade unusable for my saw that I could take it (someplace else) and have it shorten to fit a smaller band saw than mine and sell it here. (my saw is a 17", but prior to that I ran a 14" and used the same blade style and size)
At least then I could recoup some of my money.
So Kevin told me that he would order another one.
We'll have to see how this plays out.

One way or another I am through with this service/business and will find another one for my sharpening/welding needs.

Mac

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Let's see, you made a trip to Raleigh. There are only three places in Raleigh that weld bandsaw blades to my knowledge (Dillon, Ashcrofts, and Raleigh Saw.) Dillon only makes up new blades from coil stock, or repairs weld failures on blades they made. Ashcrofts doesn't get mentioned very often here, so that just leaves one company. Now let me think, who could that be? Maybe I'm right in my thinking, but maybe I'm wrong.

skysharks

New User
John Macmaster
Just thought that I would update this post.
To say that I am a bit frustrated and @#@#@#@ off would be an understatement.
The establishment is RALEIGH SAW. Kevin is incompetent.
I finally received the second blade. After rendering 2 Lennox trimaster carbide tipped blades useless by cutting them way too short to be used on my bandsaw. He orders the replace blades too long. I cant even tension the blades they are that much too long.
I am now in the process of sending these to Lennox to have them cut and re-welded to the proper length.
I can't believe that this guy runs a business and is still in business.
ARGHHHHHHH. Now I have to wait for mailing time back and forth not to mention that I am having to pay for the shipping back and forth. Not sure if Lennox is going to charge anything for the rewelding.

What an experience.

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
I have done business with this establishment in the past.
Called them up over a month ago to see about having a 2 Lennox trimaster bandsaw blades repaired.(They had broken and just needed to be re-welded.).
I was informed that they would have to trim off 1/8th inch on both ends in order to weld them. I told them no problem I could handle 1/4 inch short of the length.
I was also informed that they could not guarantee the weld. But I had them weld other blades before for me with no problems.
I had also sent in 3 saw blades for sharpening.
Well it took a bit for them to complete the order. I paid them and brought everything home.
Now I live in Eastover (Fayetteville) with gas prices trips can be a bit, especially at 13 MPG. (My problem, I know)

Got everything to the shop and proceeded to install one of the blades on my Band saw.
Blade number 1 would not fit on the saw. No matter what I did this blade was too short. Suppose to be 131 1/2". I measured it and found out that it was 129 3/4". With a sickening feeling I tried the other blade. It too was short, but I was able to get it on but it was tight.
Now I inspected the welds themselves. With a straight edge on the back side of the blade, spanning across the weld , It was very evident, even without my glasses that this was far from straight. Not only was the weld not straight it wasn't completed, and there was a good size piece of slag latched onto one of the teeth.
On the other blade, same problem as far as being straight, but not quite as drastic. The weld looked ok as far as being a solid weld, but there was now 2 broken teeth that were not there before.

Man I was hot. I had one blade that was useable but only for rough cutting, and the other totally unusable.

I called the shop up. I explained what I found and Kevin said that he would have to see the blade. Another trip to Raleigh to only confirm that Yep the blade was now way to short. I let them off the hook on the other blade, but not the one that they cut way too short.
I understand that they couldn't guarantee the welds, but this wasn't only the welds, it was the quality of the work and attention to detail.

Kevin said that he would order another blade. He finally does and says that he would split the cost with me. I could have stood my ground and probably should have, but accepted the offer. I informed Kevin that I wanted my orginal blade back. It wasn't that old, I had only used it for maybe 1 1/2 to 2 hours of total use.

So new blade comes in. I tell Kevin that, I or my brother would be up there to pick up both blades. So back up to Raleigh for another trip. Guess what? magically only the new blade is available for pickup. They can't find my original. Are you serious. So payment is made for the new blade. ( No offer for a refund for welding the 2 blades, even though the problems were found).
It has been almost another week gone by and I still have not heard where my original blade is at. And I do want it back. I can take that blade and have it shorten for another band saw. After all at $160-$170 for this blade that was almost new I want it back.

I know who I will not be doing business with again.
This customer service outright sucks. Not guaranteeing a weld is one thing, but rendering a blade unusable is another.

Now I am not sure if I'm allowed to mention this company's name here. So If you want to know where not to take your bandsaw blades, drop me aline and I will tell you.

Sorry to hear about your troubles.

From your blade length, I assume you are using a Grizzly saw with a 16 3/4 wheel diameter. Unless this is a 1/2" Tri-Master, with a thickness of 0.025, the blade will break again at some point. All their other Tri-Master blades are 0.032 or thicker and the small wheel diameter puts to much stress in the metal, resulting in fatigue. Once it breaks, it will be fatigued and after a repair it will fail again soon in a different place.

I believe this is also posted somewhere on the Lenox site, but give them a call, ask them if you want, see if they will exchange it for something else.

skysharks

New User
John Macmaster
These are the 1/2" blades. They had been doing fine. I understand about the wheel size. I believe originally that I was not tension ing them correctly(too much).
But this whole thing has nothing to do with metal fatigue.
This is about the #### poor customer service and attention to detail.

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
These are the 1/2" blades. They had been doing fine. I understand about the wheel size. I believe originally that I was not tension ing them correctly(too much).
But this whole thing has nothing to do with metal fatigue.
This is about the #### poor customer service and attention to detail.

I can understand your frustration, those carbide tipped blades are real expensive. I have moved towards using their Bi-Metal Die Master from Lenox, still lasts a long time before it becomes dull and a lot cheaper if one makes a mistake and damage a blade. Cuts just as good. For wider blades 3/4" I use Timberwolf.

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Local source for Lenox blades?

Are there local sources for such Lenox blades (i.e. Raleigh area) or are they only online?

Henry

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
Re: Local source for Lenox blades?

Are there local sources for such Lenox blades (i.e. Raleigh area) or are they only online?

Henry

You can actually order one from Lowes, they are a Lenox vendor and cheaper than most. Go to the Lenox website, look at what you want and then go to Lowes and order it. Delivery is a few days.

Rick M

New User
Rick

That's a shame it happened to you and terrible to hear it was Raleigh Saw. I've done business with them directly and indirectly (companies that employed me) since the 90's and never had a trouble although we/I only used them for saw blades and knives (big, as in 30-60 inches, not pocket knives).

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User

Henry
Woodcraftbands.com They are a NC company. Good prices, and great service. Order in the morning, and usually the UPS guy brings them the next day. UPS is less than the cost of gas to drive across town, much less the time lost. .

petebucy4638

Pete
Corporate Member
I am weary of putting up with this sort of crap from vendors too. They hire some unskilled worker, often illegal, then make you pay the price when they screw up. If you want to get their attention, drag them into small claims court. When you left the blade with them you created a condition that made them responsible for that blade. If they lost it, then they are responsible for replacing it. Finally, I never deal with any company that is 'not responsible' for the work that they do. That is outrageous. If you can't do a job competently, then go make tacos or something that you can do well.

Let a judge sort it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS