Bandsaw Blade still ok?

DRC

Danny
Senior User
I håve my first bandsaw (bench top) and was cutting some curves today and the blade jumped off. It did kink just a little. I put it back on and finished my cutting my project after rechecking the setup. Is this blade still good to use? How do you folks handle a blade jumping off? Again this is my first bandsaw and have made about a dozen cuts thus far. Thanks for any input.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
If it is still kinked you can try to straighten it with two pair of pliers.
If it still makes a click or waves at you as it goes by then buy a new blade.

Westpacx3

Jim
Corporate Member
If it is still kinked you can try to straighten it with two pair of pliers.
If it still makes a click or waves at you as it goes by then buy a new blade.
Just did the same thing. I released the tension thinking the blade had stopped, to much noise in the room with the filter and DC going and ears on, blade jambed behind the wheel. The kink came out easy but I think I bent the teeth or some of them. Seems louder and did a practice cut and it is jagged. Does this photo look like the blade is trashed. Brand new timber wolf blade. Fortunately all else is well and I was done resawing. I'm new to all this and at least I'm getting practice putting blades on and adjusting all the guides.

Attachments

• 20230316_194634.jpg
    20230316_194634.jpg
    725.8 KB · Views: 53

HITCH-

Hitch
Corporate Member
If you know someone with a smaller bandsaw, they could cut the blade down to be used on their machine.

Craptastic

Matt
Corporate Member
Do a bit more straightening on the blade and test again. One that left that kind of a cut line in your picture would not go back on my saw simply because of too much cleanup on the line. You may be able to salvage it but it's gonna need more work than what you've done so far.

Westpacx3

Jim
Corporate Member
Do a bit more straightening on the blade and test again. One that left that kind of a cut line in your picture would not go back on my saw simply because of too much cleanup on the line. You may be able to salvage it but it's gonna need more work than what you've done so far.
I'll spend the 38.00 and get a new blade and hopefully learn faster. The tension can stay on a little longer. Just hate the simple mistakes.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
I håve my first bandsaw (bench top) and was cutting some curves today and the blade jumped off. It did kink just a little. I put it back on and finished my cutting my project after rechecking the setup. Is this blade still good to use? How do you folks handle a blade jumping off? Again this is my first bandsaw and have made about a dozen cuts thus far. Thanks for any input.
Flat bands run on the center of crowned wheels. Maybe the crown on your bandsaw tires has worn. I've had a couple of 9" band saws that wouldn't work worth a darn until I removed the wheels and crowned the tires with a sanding drum. After that, tracking was perfect and tenacious.

Michael Mathews

Michael
Corporate Member
I'd double check your tension and setup. Also make sure you have the upper blade guide close to the work to help prevent this type of incident.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS