Bandsaw Blade Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

nelsone

New User
Ed
Is there a bandsaw blade that works well at cutting veneers at 1/8" and thinner that will work on my HF BS/w riser (105" blade)? I have a 1/2" 3tpi Timberwolf blade, but it seems to leave some pretty deep saw marks. Not sure if this is the blade or the saw! I want to be able to use this for inlays and marquetry.

ashley_phil

Phil Ashley
Corporate Member
it quite likely is the saw. but probably if you upgrated to some cool block style guides you'll get a better finish.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
You shouldn't have any issues cutting 1/8" veneers with the type of blade. Provided you are tuned and tensioned properly. More than likely you will have to run the slices through a drum sander to clean them up and ensure a smooth surface.
Dave:)

nelsone

New User
Ed
Hey Phil, I already have the cool blocks, but I probably do need to upgrade the spring! I'll have to look into that.

Dave, I wish I had a drum sander, but sadly that's a one-of-these-days item! unless of course you want to pick up that really cool Steel City drum that is in the Charlotte Woodcraft for me! I think I can run 1/8 through my planer.

ashley_phil

Phil Ashley
Corporate Member
Hey Phil, I already have the cool blocks, but I probably do need to upgrade the spring! I'll have to look into that.

Dave, I wish I had a drum sander, but sadly that's a one-of-these-days item! unless of course you want to pick up that really cool Steel City drum that is in the Charlotte Woodcraft for me! I think I can run 1/8 through my planer.

if you have the blocks it's likely a tension problem. i know timberwolf blades are to be run just shy of wobbling per their sales pitch. i've not done a lot with them to know for sure though.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I agree with Phil. It is most likely tension. Either your spring isn't strong enough (which isn't too much to replace from Woodcraft) or your frame is twisting. I would try replacing the tension spring just to see. Woodcraft should have them in stock and they are less than $20 I believe.

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
I saw a demo of Timberwolf blades last year. The guy was cutting some cherry and went from a jagged cut to a smooth cut just by varying the speed he fed the wood through. Try slowing down the feed rate and let the blade cut.

Also, the last blade (Timberwolf) I got from Woodcraft was bent a little near the weld. I straightened out the teeth a bit and it fixed it up pretty good.

pete

Ken Massingale

New User
Ken
I'll probably start a rukus with this but:

I'm a long time Timberwolf user but am not happy with them lately, especially with resaw blades. I bought 2 new ones with the new Rikon BS and had terrible results with both. (I had ordered some Bladerunner, same as Woodslicer, blades from Iturra but they hadn't arrived). The finish on the cuts was terrible and the saw sounded like it was coming apart. After confirming tension was to Suffolk specs and all alignments were correct I gave up and called Rikon. When I explained the issue their first question was if I had a Timberwolf blade on.
I installed the blade that came with the saw and resaws were better, not great but better.
The Bladerunner blades came and the heavens opened up with glorious rewards of smooth cuts and a quiet bandsaw!

I'm not slamming all Timberwolf blades but the Bladerunner or Woodslicer blades shame the TW resaw blades.

Wildwood

New User
Wildwood
I cut a lot of logs 18" -24" in length, using a simple bandsaw sled and bar clamp. Kind of simple set up, but get better results than using the fence.

Use a 3/8" x 3 TPI Lenox blade

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Wellll, I waz edjucated in S.C., nuff said! :)

:rolf: We Carolinians allz has to stick together.

Ain't no need to have a dispute about bandsaw blades. The only thing I can say for sure is they get dull quick. I have a carbide tipped one on my Minimax, and I can say it makes a world of difference, but the price is enough to give you sticker shock. I dread the day I have to get it sharpened.

nelsone

New User
Ed
Cool, I finally started a thread with a little controversy! (didn't think it would be fer grammar!):lol:

Thanks for the suggestions guys!:icon_thum

Travis, since those blades cost sooooo much for the MM, I'll be willing to trade saws!:rolf: I really would like to upgrade saws. I think I try and put it in next years budget!

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
There is a huge difference between a 14" and a Minimax, more than I would have ever realized. I did upgrade my 14" Delta heavily, and it does a whole lot better. Too many times the 14" saws have less than quality bearings, guides, etc. I will say the 1/2" blades dull quick as noted. Faster than I would believe.

cpowell

Chuck
Senior User
I have used the Timberwolf 1/2 x 3PC silicon steel blades and the Lenox 1/2 x 3H silicon steel blades (from John at Woodcraftbands.com). The cut quality was the same - both made a good cut, no waves. The cut surface was NOT extremely smooth. The stock needs to be cleaned up afterwards. This is probably normal for the style of blade. BTW the Lenox blades were a little bit cheaper as I recall.

I have also used both 1" x 3 and 1" x 2 silicon steel and the cut quality is the same. The 1/2 x 2 TPI cuts so fast when new that it's scary. But it's a coarse cut...no waves, just ridges.

I don't use the "flutter test" for tensioning at all anymore. I tried this starting out and found it isn't needed. I listened to Woodguy's advice and now tension by feel. I go for around 3/16 to 1/4 inch deflection with moderate finger pressure on the side of the blade - three fingers pushing. It works just fine. Silicon steel blades will wear out long before you see any problem related to fatigue from tension (just my experience).

The 1/2 inch blades work very well. If your saw won't tension the 1/2 then I'd bet you will be happy with the 3/8 x 4H Lenox.

BTW Travis Porter has had his MM for a while now and will probably look at upgrading when he gets his next bonus (it's an established trend). He gets inflicted with advanced WG disease relapse pretty frequently. As a matter of fact, I think he's overdue! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Chuck

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
BTW Travis Porter has had his MM for a while now and will probably look at upgrading when he gets his next bonus (it's an established trend). He gets inflicted with advanced WG disease relapse pretty frequently. As a matter of fact, I think he's overdue! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Chuck

I resent that remark. Actually, I resemble it, oh well. :roll::lol: I got advanced WG disease last weekend at Woodcraft. It seems to be in a different stage at the moment. I went bonkers on chisels. Bench chisels, mortising chisels, skew chisels, chisels everywhere. As for machinery, I doubt I will ever trade the Minimax, but I am itching for a 1 hp 4 wheel power feeder, a 16" jointer, a 20 to 24" planer, and a wide belt sander..... Oh well......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS