Bandsaw blade choice for the Rikon 10-326

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
First a thank you to everyone for your help with choosing a bandsaw for my BIL.

He ended up choosing the Rikon 10-326

He is making instruments so this will make some good curves for him, but as most of us - he intends to use it for resawing.
While it is not a Hammer or ??? he is coming from a 1980's Craftsman with 12" wheels (guessing a 14' saw...) so this is a HUGE step up.

My question is about resawing.
The 10-326 claims it is capable of a 3/4" blade. But I seem to remember someone here saying with a smaller motor (1 3/4 HP in this case) and the smaller size of a machine it is better to use a ??? size blade so that it can be tensioned properly and the motor can handle the blade.

Now, maybe that is hokum or I am simply remembering wrong... but I always ask here first!

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I may have posted that. In a long conversation with the former owner of woodcraft bands he advised me to use 1/2 or no larger than 5/8 bands on that saw. I think his point was the tensioning of the blade rather than horsepower.

I'd have to look but I believe I bought several 1/2 inch wide, 3 tooth per inch, skip tooth pattern.

RickR

Rick
Senior User
I have the same saw and struggled to get a 3/4 blade tensioned and tracking properly. I have been using a Timberwolf 1/2 inch 4 tpi for resaw with good results, albeit mostly in dry eastern cedar.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I may have posted that. In a long conversation with the former owner of woodcraft bands he advised me to use 1/2 or no larger than 5/8 bands on that saw. I think his point was the tensioning of the blade rather than horsepower.

I'd have to look but I believe I bought several 1/2 inch wide, 3 tooth per inch, skip tooth pattern.
Mike - which Rikon Bandsaw do you have?

dancam

Dan
Corporate Member
I also have the Rikon, and I couldn't get the 3/4 inch to work properly. I use a 1/2 Wood Slicer with excellent results in oak, walnut, and some exotics.

Overall, for my uses, it's been a great saw.

pcooper

Phillip Cooper
Corporate Member
I have the same saw you describe and use the wood slicer resaw blade from highland hardware. (www.highlandwoodworking.com) It is a 3/4" blade and my saw runs it really well. I did upgrade the guides to the roller ones, (yours already has them if it s a blue saw). I haven't run into tension issues with mine yet. I use a 111" blade. Edited: Mine is the old green version.

Last edited:

Nscwoodcraft

New User
Nick
I use a 1" Resaw King and get very nice results. it's a 3tpi variable but you need a decent saw to get the right tension for a 1" blade.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS