Band saw whoops

DSWalker

David
Corporate Member
Not really sure why, but pretty sure this wasn't supposed to happen.

Was slicing some cedar for coasters and bam.

DSWalker

David
Corporate Member
My guess is the blade is dull, or the tracking is off, or tension is too little, or your guides are set too loose.....or all of the previous!
I think it was the tension. I do plan to order some new blades though. This one was cutting nicely. Likely won't now. Everything else I had was just burning the soft cedar.

Time for some new ones.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
I agree with Gotcha6(Dennis) the blade may be salvageable to some degree.

Make sure the Gullet of the tooth (the deepst recessed area of the tooth) is on the apex of the wheel camber. If it is not, the thinner blades will drift much easier than the wider blades.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Another thing I'm noticing about this photo is the presence of a rip fence That may just be a distraction, but if you are using that narrow a blade to do ripping you might want to think again. Narrower blades are best suited for tight curve cuts and will drift considerably when ripping thicker woods, as witnessed by the direction of the cut in the insert.

DSWalker

David
Corporate Member
How did the blade turn almost 90 degrees and get into the plate? I don't understand.
I don't know... It was travelling at a high RPM when it happened and shut down instantly when it did that! lol

My guess is the blade got pushed back beside [to the right] of the rear guide, then as it started to come forward it bounced off the wood and caught the edge of the throat plate.

DSWalker

David
Corporate Member
Another thing I'm noticing about this photo is the presence of a rip fence That may just be a distraction, but if you are using that narrow a blade to do ripping you might want to think again. Narrower blades are best suited for tight curve cuts and will drift considerably when ripping thicker woods, as witnessed by the direction of the cut in the insert.
I was using the rip fence and was starting on about the 4th rip. They were all cutting straight though. The last one never got started cutting into the wood. I may have also pushed a little too hard when starting? I don't really recall.

All of my blades are shot. This one was cutting the best, so that's what I was using. I had been making some of the tight turns and it worked really well. All of the blades I have came with the saw. Been using them a couple years now, so I guess it is time to buy a few new ones. :)

Ed D

New User
Ed
I also agree with Mike, and I would suggest new blades as well as a complete re-set up of your saw. Looks like the blade has been nibbling away at that insert before this incident.

Ed

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
I agree with Chris, it appears from the photo that the roller guides are way too far to the front. The teeth should not ride on the guides, only the blade body. Hard to trll blade size but it looks small for ripping, as it looks like that is what you were doing. Another thing, I think you were way under tensioned. So it's really a combination of things. To get an idea of proper blade setup and roller guiden adjust,

DSWalker

David
Corporate Member
I agree with Chris, it appears from the photo that the roller guides are way too far to the front. The teeth should not ride on the guides, only the blade body. Hard to trll blade size but it looks small for ripping, as it looks like that is what you were doing. Another thing, I think you were way under tensioned. So it's really a combination of things. To get an idea of proper blade setup and roller guiden adjust,
In the photo above, the blade was off the rollers due to the 'incident'.

DSWalker

David
Corporate Member
Ummmm... why is that blade behind the guide rollers to start with? They look awfully fat apart for that blade kerf too
Yep, I snapped the pic right after it happened. The blade had jumped off the wheels, so the photo isn't a fair representation of lineage with the guides.

I can check the spacing on the 2 between the blade though.

The plate was already pretty chewed up when I bought the saw. This is the first addition to plate damage that I have made. :)

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS