Band Saw Blades

Status
Not open for further replies.

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
Thank you to those of you who recommended using the WOOD SLICER band saw blades from Highland Hardware. Put one on my 14" Jet today, and with just a minor amount of adjusting, was able to cut quite a few 1/4" planks from poplar, cherry, and jatoba in a short amount of time. The planks came out fairly true and fairly smooth. The thickness I was ripping was up to 10". I am very pleased with this blade. :eusa_danc
I have used another brand for several years, and spent several hundred dollars on their blades, but the satisfaction level has been extremely low and the results have been really poor when ripping anything over 2" thickness. A:kamahlitu wild dog in the woods:tongue2: couldn't force me to use that brand again
.:BangHead:
Thanks again for the recommendation.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Glad to hear that you are happy with Highland's Woodslicer. Ittura design sells the same just a little less, under their "house brand name." On a slightly different perspective, have you ever thought about how band saw blades are made. Most are made with an ATB tooth pattern, but most of what we use them for is basically ripping.

sushinutnc

New User
Mike
I have used another brand for several years, and spent several hundred dollars on their blades, but the satisfaction level has been extremely low and the results have been really poor when ripping anything over 2" thickness.
Bruce-- I'm assuming you don't want to bash that brand, but I'm sure many (including myself) would appreciate learning from your own experience. I think that's one of the main benefits of this community. If you don't want to mention here, would you mind PMing me?

I hope to buy a BS in the next year. I've actually purchased 6 different sizes/types of Timber Wolf blades (Suffolk Machinery) that I've used on other people's saws. In my limited experience, (< 5 hrs total?), I thought they performed great. Just interested to see if you had problems with their blades by any chance.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Glad to hear you bought the WoodSlicer and like it, Bruce. I think this is one of the topics we covered while helping Mike Davis move last month. Ah, the good things that happen when a bunch of woodworkers get together. :banana:

Bill

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
Perhaps I should have been a little more lucid on the type of band saw blade I have been using and had so much dissatisfaction with. The blades were all 1/2" and 3/4" blades that were used mainly for re-sawing.The gentleman who welds and markets this brand of blade in this area, had suggested that since the 3/4" blades were performing so poorly for me when re-sawing, the 1/2" blade might do much better. Not only did that type of blade perform poorly while re-sawing, it was useless to cut flat stock as the blades (all of them I used), wandered in the cut and left very rough, splintered edges. On each of them, it appeared that there must have been bent teeth. As the band passed over the band wheels, there was always a constant thump--thump that was audible as well as causing a shake in the saw. This experience is from no less than 8 of these blades, so obviously the quality was consistent. As for naming the manufacturer, I won't do it in public, except to say, a "Wild, Howling Dog, in the Woods," could not convince me to buy any more of their bands. :tongue2::tongue2::tongue2::tongue2::tongue2::tongue2::tongue2::tongue2::tongue2::tongue2::tongue2::tongue2::tongue2::tongue2::tongue2::tongue2::tongue2::tongue2::tongue2::tongue2::tongue2::tongue2::tongue2::tongue2::tongue2::tongue2::tongue2::tongue2:

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
Yes Bill, indeed it was one of the topics kicked around that day. It was a very good day! Good weather and some really great wood workers working together.:icon_cheers:eusa_clap:icon_cheers:eusa_clap:wwink:

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Highland Hardware also sells a blade designed for wood turners for cutting blanks. They are more aggressive then the Wood Slicer. I am happy with those as well.

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
The service was fast too Scott. Ordered on the internet Sundau evening and they arrived Tues. afternoon. My first dealings with them, and I rate them TOPS!:banana::tool::tool:

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
How do the Wood Slicer blades compare to the ones made by Woodcraft Bands?

I have never used the Woddcraft blades so I really can't compare. I can say I do prefer Wood Slicer blades to a couple other major brands I tried.

Ken Massingale

New User
Ken
How do the Wood Slicer blades compare to the ones made by Woodcraft Bands?
I was a big advocate of Woodslicer from HH and the Bladerunner from Iturra, and recommended them frequently. The big downside is that both of them dull quickly, this isn't just my opinion, reports about it can be found on many WW forums. I think it's the nature of how they are made, which makes them so great when they are new.

About 18 months ago I decided to try bimetal blades after reading reviews and recommendations. They are around $35 for a 111" blade, so the initial purchase hurts a bit. I bought a 1/2" blade for resawing and a 1/4" for normal use.
After these months of heavy use, I have found the blades I will stick with. I am still using the 2 original blades and they cut like they did when new.
They are Lenox Die Master blades from Woodcraft Bands, a small dealer in N.C. (not associated with Woodcraft).

As for the PSI/Timberwolf blades, IMO they were first class in the past, but currently, and for some time, have had quality issues.

Glennbear

Glenn
I was a big advocate of Woodslicer from HH and the Bladerunner from Iturra, and recommended them frequently. The big downside is that both of them dull quickly, this isn't just my opinion, reports about it can be found on many WW forums. I think it's the nature of how they are made, which makes them so great when they are new.

About 18 months ago I decided to try bimetal blades after reading reviews and recommendations. They are around $35 for a 111" blade, so the initial purchase hurts a bit. I bought a 1/2" blade for resawing and a 1/4" for normal use.
After these months of heavy use, I have found the blades I will stick with. I am still using the 2 original blades and they cut like they did when new.
They are Lenox Die Master blades from Woodcraft Bands, a small dealer in N.C. (not associated with Woodcraft).

As for the PSI/Timberwolf blades, IMO they were first class in the past, but currently, and for some time, have had quality issues.

Thanks Ken, I have been thinking about the bimetal blades when I start resawing but was hesitant because of the price. Your real world review is very helpful. :wsmile:

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
Appreciate hearing your recommendation for the bi-metal blades Ken. I'll definitely give them a try. I looked at their site, but decided to try the Wood Slicer this time. Its very frustrating to have a good band saw in the shop, but not caring to use it because the saw bands perform so poorly. It was like getting a big surprise birthday present when I started to re-saw with, and then do some other cutting using the new band.:saw:

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Bandsaw blades are like trucks. You wouldn't want to haul a 10 ton load with a 1/2 ton truck or use a huge tractor trailer to deliver a letter in a parking deck. Different tooth geometries, blade counts, hardness and band thickness will do things better or worse depending on the job you're trying to do with them. You have to make comparisons on more than a company name.

The thing I like about John at Woodcraftbands and Louis Itturra is they will take the time to educate you on the correct type of "Truck" you need for the job. Most of us don't have a clue as to the best type of blade for the different things we do. I sure don't. When you walk up to the Bandsaw blade display there are lot's of options...most aren't cheap.

Ken Massingale

New User
Ken
Bandsaw blades are like trucks. You wouldn't want to haul a 10 ton load with a 1/2 ton truck or use a huge tractor trailer to deliver a letter in a parking deck. Different tooth geometries, blade counts, hardness and band thickness will do things better or worse depending on the job you're trying to do with them. You have to make comparisons on more than a company name.

The thing I like about John at Woodcraftbands and Louis Itturra is they will take the time to educate you on the correct type of "Truck" you need for the job. Most of us don't have a clue as to the best type of blade for the different things we do. I sure don't. When you walk up to the Bandsaw blade display there are lot's of options...most aren't cheap.
Well said Mark..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS