Band Saw blade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolfpacker

New User
Brent
I just remembered that my bandsaw blade (original blade on Ridgid BS) broke a while back after very, very little use. It should have a good bit of life left in it, but didn't know if I can have it welded back and be usable. Isn't that how they're made to start with ?

If I have to buy a new one, am looking for a general purpose blade at this point. I have cut wood, metal and pvc pipe thus far since I bought the BS last spring. What would you recommend as far as TPI, width of blade, etc ?

Muchas gracias,
Brent

T

toolferone

For the wood and pvc I keep a 14" wide 6tpi on my BS. When you say metal,do you men nonferous or steel. Stel would beed to run A LOT SLOWER and would be a blade around 18tpi and higer if the steel is thin. Most wood bandsaw only have one speed which is much to fast for steel. If you are cutting aluminum and brass then the wood bs is okay, but would be a higher tpi then the wood blade. Yes, bs blades are welded to start with and depending how much travel you have on you bs wheel adjustment you might be able to have it rewelded. You do lose some length in the repair.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
I just checked Rockler's site, and an Olson blade (several to choose from) that is 93 1/2" long can be had for less than $20, with FREE shipping. This makes rewelding too expensive. But Woodcraft does sell a kit that allows one to silver solder their blades back together.

Howard Acheson

New User
Howard
Let me say that the blades supplied on newly purchased band saws are only for show. They are not very good, long lasting blades.

There is really no such thing as a "general purpose" blade. In fact, you will get the best performance from your saw to use the correct blade for the material and type of cut. For a 14" saw, a 1/2" resaw blade is best. For tight radius curves, a 1/8" blade may be called for. Many cuts can be made with a 1/4" blade but it will not work well for resawing or tight radius.

If you are new to a band saw, let me recommend that you purchase Lonnie Bird's Band Saw Book. It will tell you how to set up and align your saw. In addition it will tell you about the different blades used for different cuts. Finally, it will tell you how to best use your saw to get the most out of it.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I have 3 blades that i swap on and off my bandsaw. I wish I had a couple more. Like Howard said, it depends on what you want to saw.

The very first thing anyone should do when they buy a new bandsaw is take off the blade that came with it and throw it away. Then get the blades you need for the kind of cutting you want to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS