Howie
1675212842615.png
1675212842615.png
1675212842615.png

Reactions: Oka

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
That's a good deal for a starter kit of a Powermatic 81 band saw. It does have the fence. That's rare.
It weighs a lot. In the 800 lbs range. Not a flimsy toy.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
Looking at the back access panel, that saw may be a metal cutting model 87. (I'm not on facebook) If so, it will be in the 1000 lb weight range.

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Looking at the back access panel, that saw may be a metal cutting model 87. (I'm not on facebook) If so, it will be in the 1000 lb weight range.
and the biggest difference is the blade speed - right? Can both tension to what is needed for woodcutting? Could both handle wider blades?

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
The factory recommends 3/4" wide blades. I tried a 1" wide blade on my 81 and didn't like it.
After 50 years of different owners and use conditions, its impossible to say whether or not that specimen is suitable for anything.
Here are some factory catalog cuts.
You'll have to adjust the prices for inflation.

1      81 vs 87.jpg

1      81.jpg 1      87.jpg

Bill E

Bill
User
If it is wired single phase 220 , this would be a Great buy. Specially if it has a Baladon motor. The motor is worth $300 + along
Bill E

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
I suspect it it a wood cutting Model 81 because I don't think the versions of the metal cutting model 87 had the dust chutes under the lower guide.

Bill E

Bill
User
You are probably right.I own powdermatic 66 table saw and jointer 6” and 16” planer . They have preform well for 30 years This would be a great addition for re-sawing larger ,thicker lumber with a 3/4 to 1” blade at a slow speed but I am to old . My opinion: older American made machinery is better than import junk,

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS