Baltic Birch

cmarzahn

New User
Chuck
Please forgive this question from a newbie if it’s already been asked and answered many times. I can’t seem to find the 13 ply Baltic Birch plywood that is supposed to be the best for making cabinets, jigs etc. at least not in 4 x 8 sheets. The big box stores have oak or maple but with fewer plys. Down here in Wilmington....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Also as far as I know Baltic Birch is more conventionally sold in 5x5 sheets, not 4x8 sheets; I'm never certain why that is, but presume it has something to do with European standard sizes.
Mostly have to go to non-'big box' stores to get this material. Like Martin stated above, see this sources list he linked as a starting point for your area.

Last edited:

zapdafish

New User
Steve
Not sure if you are in their delivery area.

creasman

Jim
Staff member
Corporate Member
I get Baltic Birch from the Wurth Wood Group here in Raleigh (4213 Poole Rd). They also have locations in Charolette and Greensboro, but I haven't ever been to these. As far as I know it only comes in 5'x5' sheets -- a bit awkward to handle and transport. They carry it in a variety of thicknesses from 1/4" up to 3/4". I've always just driven there and loaded in on my truck. You might find someone on the site heading your way who was willing to do a "Pony Express" from here to Wilmington.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Baltic birch as I was told it is sold to as 1525mm x 1525mm in Europe though 60 x 60 when converted is not exact.

I do know flooring installers and sheet flooring manufacturers like it because of the stability and because the size does not layout on flooring sheet stock seams.

Finnish ply is sometimes found, it is the same material except it is made with exterior glue. You can order Baltic birch with exterior glue.

Personally I really like the material it is really stable.

cmarzahn

New User
Chuck
Thanks for the help. Two things...
1. You guys have already made me smarter than I was.
2. I need to move to Raleigh or Charlotte!
LOL!
Might shoulda asked what y’all use for projects like cabinets or jigs.

cheryllewis

New User
cheryl
Please forgive this question from a newbie if it’s already been asked and answered many times. I can’t seem to find the 13 ply Baltic Birch plywood that is supposed to be the best for making cabinets, jigs etc. at least not in 4 x 8 sheets. The big box stores have oak or maple but with fewer plys. Down here in Wilmington....

We have 3/4" x 4' x 8' sheets of Marine Grade Baltic Birch. It is 15 ply.
Thanks.
Cheryl @ The Hardwood Store of NC

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
Charlie,

It all depends on what you're doing. The birch ply at Home Depot isn't bad, same with the Sandeply. I've built a lot of jigs from both of these, and never had an issue.

I've built virtually all my shop cabs from that Radiata pine Home Depot sells. I'm a cheapskate and just can't bring myself to use $$$ plywood for shop cabs. My supplier sells Radiata pine in 1x6's which I use for doors and drawer faces. It stains surprisingly well and looks pretty good to me.
IMG_1216.JPG

For better quality cabs that I want to paint, I use birch which I get from a local supplier. I buy the middle grade Russian a/b stuff that runs around $55/sheet. I would mention though that the Sandeply at HD also paints well. I built this corner unit out of it.

IMG_1203.JPG

Liam Crickard

New User
Bill
You can get 4x8 sheets of birch marine multi-ply in Raleigh at Capital City Lumber. It's not cheap but It's better quality than most Russian Ply. I haven't been to The Hardwood Store of NC but I want to when I'm in the area. There should be a retail source for marine ply near Wilmington.

JimD

Jim
Senior User
I make jigs and shop cabinets out of whatever I have left over from other projects. If I buy plywood for cabinets in the shop, is the pine plywood HD sells (Lowe's had it too last time I looked) - cost is about $30 for a 4x8 sheet. One side is clear, the other side had intact knots but isn't bad. My outfeed/assembly table is made of it and is quite stable. I just bought two sheets yesterday (from HD even though it was a buck a sheet more) for the platform of a bed I am finishing up. The inner plys have a few voids but it is pretty good stuff.

I have also purchased oak and maple plywood from HD recently for other projects. I forget the brand but it is sold as formaldehyde free. Inner plys are poplar. Has about the same amount of voids as the pine plywood.

I like baltic birch plywood. The inner plys are birch and the plys are all the same thickness. It is definitely better. But it isn't really necessary for nearly everything I do. I have used it in 1/2 inch for drawers. It definitely takes routed dovetails better than other plywood I've tried. But more recently I have just planned down pine from the big box stores. It routes better and it looks OK for me.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS