Bad nicks in a V- chisel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cb12

New User
Charles
I have a 2 bad nicks in a new 45 degree v- chisel. Is there anyone that can help? It is going to take a lot of metal removal to get them out. I thought about sending it back but it took forever to get it shipped to me. It is a Dastra product and I thought they were supposed to be one of the best brands to buy!?! :(

Mark Gottesman

New User
Mark
How did the tool get nicked? Was it shipped that way? If the edge is chipping out or deforming under hand driven use then I would hazard a guess that either the tool is improperly heat treated (to soft or to hard) or possibly it is an out of spec piece of steel. Photos would help. My feeling from reading the Deifenbacher tool catalog is that you should call either the company you purchased it from or the makers and explain what is happening. In the past, when I have had odd problems with expensive edge tools the company has sent me a replacement gratis. sometimes they want the problem tool back sometimes not.

Good Luck.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
+1 on Mark's suggestion. V tools can be re-worked but it is a complex, lengthy process to get it right.

Chris Pye has a video set about doing it that is very good, but his woodcarvingtv videos are subscription - about 10/month.

Cb12

New User
Charles
I was just using it for a the fourth time and the metal edge broke in the wood. Then I tried it again and the other side broke off. I am calling on Monday to see what can be done, if nothing happens there, I will try sharpening it.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Yes, tell them it is not working as expected and you want to replace it. No use struggling with inferior materials. They will likely have no problem exchanging it for a correctly tempered tool.

Cb12

New User
Charles
Tried to sharpen the nicks out but said the he'll with this, it's not working. Contacted the seller and a replacement is on the way!! Thank you Ron Diefenbacher.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS