BAD advice

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Gad, recently, the number of on-line videos and TV shows with woodworkers using their power tools in terribly dangerous ways. One "expert" showing band saw use, cutting thin stock, and the guides were all the way up. Fully exposed blade. Another was feeding a re-saw and pushing the last few inches with his fingers within an 1/8 of the blade. Then watching a "this old" something, a guy with a job site saw ripping some floor pieces with no fence, no splitter, no guard. Fingers passing within half an inch on either side. Another actual instructional video was crosscutting against the fence for repeat length. Not a stop block the work would clear, the fence.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Having been tasked in the past to write OSHA compliant safety manuals, and training others to use tools, you always cringe at some of the unsafe things you see others doing. But, if you have a good memory and think back you will often find you have done lots of really dangerous things as well earlier in your life. That said, age brings perspective and better planning down to how you will move, measure, cut, drill and assemble. My fear with the You Tube generation is they lose their critical thinking and observation skills. I have heard some of these guys on You tube actually state the way they do it is ok. ........ Ego and stubbornness.

lvparagod

New User
Roger
And that is why a while ago in my paramedic days I picked a finger out of a bush. The guy, a hardwood floor installer, cutting on a jobsite saw. One of the last cuts of the day, was prolly in a hurry. While my partner attended to him, giving him pain meds and such I looked everywhere for that finger. It was his index finger that flew about 8 feet behind him.

Martin Roper

Martin
Senior User
And that is why a while ago in my paramedic days I picked a finger out of a bush. The guy, a hardwood floor installer, cutting on a jobsite saw. One of the last cuts of the day, was prolly in a hurry. While my partner attended to him, giving him pain meds and such I looked everywhere for that finger. It was his index finger that flew about 8 feet behind him.

Not a fun day for you; even less good for him. Did they reattach it?

Around 1989 when I was on the USS Theodore Roosevelt, a worker on one of the USNS supply ships that was provisioning us lost all four of his fingers when they got caught under a cable powered by an electric winch.

If there was any luck to be had for this poor fellow, it was that at that very moment a convention of world-renowned microsurgeons was meeting in nearby Naples to give presentations to one another on the latest techniques and equipment. The worker and his fingers were heloed into Naples and his fingers reattached.

I'm sure his hand was never the same again, but some folks have regained some use of their digits.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I bought an old Case tractor (crank start)
I was pulling on that crank with all my might...
Dad walked up behind me and said "That is a good way to break your arm"

Being at the age where I thought I was smarter than he was, I said "What, trying to start my tractor? like you always say, it wont start itself!"

he said yea, but if that crank snaps back you will not be able to get away from it... if you stand on the other side of the tractor and it happens, it will just pull the crank out of your hand...

I call this lesson "assistance in critical thinking!" ( small nod of agreement with Oka)

lvparagod

New User
Roger
Not a fun day for you; even less good for him. Did they reattach it?

Around 1989 when I was on the USS Theodore Roosevelt, a worker on one of the USNS supply ships that was provisioning us lost all four of his fingers when they got caught under a cable powered by an electric winch.

If there was any luck to be had for this poor fellow, it was that at that very moment a convention of world-renowned microsurgeons was meeting in nearby Naples to give presentations to one another on the latest techniques and equipment. The worker and his fingers were heloed into Naples and his fingers reattached.

I'm sure his hand was never the same again, but some folks have regained some use of their digits.

I dunno if they reattached it, we drop and go on to the next one!! Good news for your guy tho!!

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
..............and 'Nahm' always had graphics stating, "guards removed for clarity and illustration".......

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Paramedic stories. Had a friend talking about "bikers" vs "motorcycle riders". She liked the motorcycle riders better as they wore full leathers. You only had to find the hard round thing and the squishy bag. "Bikers" you had to go around finding all the pieces.

Or the good old "Hey Buba, hold my beer and watch this!" You can't fix stupid, but you should not put on instructional TV.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Paramedic stories. Had a friend talking about "bikers" vs "motorcycle riders". She liked the motorcycle riders better as they wore full leathers. You only had to find the hard round thing and the squishy bag. "Bikers" you had to go around finding all the pieces.

Or the good old "Hey Buba, hold my beer and watch this!" You can't fix stupid, but you should not put on instructional TV.
A wise biker's philosophy: Dress for the slide, not for the ride.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
A friend of mine was a roadracer. He said after you stop sliding, wait and count to 10, as you probably are still sliding.

ncfromnc

New User
neil
My woodworking teacher at school would go to a machine to show us a cut and he would proceed the demonstration with "Don't tell anyone I showed you this .....it is extremely dangerous. And then he would show us anyway.

UncleJoe

Joe
Senior User
Yes, one of my pet peeves is when I am watching a video and they say the blade guards have been removed for clarity. Really? like we have not seen a saw blade cutting wood? Do we learn the technique better because the blade guard is missing in the demonstration. When the world comes to its senses and make me the supreme ruler of all I will pass a rule that all woodworking videos have to be done with safety first. Seriously the newbie trying to learn the craft is exposed to way too many bad examples.

Can all content makers on the "tube" please start emphasizing some basic safety protocols. Remember a lot of the audience is there to learn because they are new to all this. For the old timers do as you wish in your shop and more power to you.

Volksdad

New User
Glen
One of my son’s favorite YouTube channels is a dad who plays with legos with his son. I usually don’t monitor the show and let him watch it for his 30 minutes of daily tv .....

Until I saw that idiot hand his 10 year old son a cordless recip saw in the woods to go chop branches. No instructions - no guidance - just “be careful!” I was horrified as the kid got his hands way to close to the blade (no gloves either).

He can’t watch that show anymore. I explained how dangerous it was etc...

YouTube is FULL of idiots with cameras.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
When I see some of these things on you tube, or at work I think ........ Darwin is hard at work .......... or ......... "The 'tard is strong in this one Obi-wan"

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS