Back Yard Seating

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Maybe I got a bad case of winter blues, but I decided to build something to look forward to in the Spring when the weather improves. I picked up about 50Bdft of nice clear cypress from the Hardwood Store and started on an Adirondack bench that I plan on placing at my back yard yardwork resting spot. I had ordered all 4/4 and in hindsight I should mixed in some 8/4 for a lot of the sub-frame and arms. I reduced my waste somewhat by doing multiple glueups using Titebond III. Ended up using all but about 5 Bdft of stock.

I managed to get it all assembled and sanded on this past Sunday (after our power was restored).

DSCN15392.JPG

DSCN15362.JPG

Oh ya, it is based on a plan I had picked up from Rockler. (Will have to wait for it to warm up a bit before deciding on a finish.)

Thanks for looking.

Wayne

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Maybe I got a bad case of winter blues, but I decided to build something to look forward to in the Spring when the weather improves. I picked up about 50Bdft of nice clear cypress from the Hardwood Store and started on an Adirondack bench that I plan on placing at my back yard yardwork resting spot. I had ordered all 4/4 and in hindsight I should mixed in some 8/4 for a lot of the sub-frame and arms. I reduced my waste somewhat by doing multiple glueups using Titebond III. Ended up using all but about 5 Bdft of stock.

I managed to get it all assembled and sanded on this past Sunday (after our power was restored).

DSCN15392.JPG

DSCN15362.JPG

Oh ya, it is based on a plan I had picked up from Rockler. (Will have to wait for it to warm up a bit before deciding on a finish.)

Thanks for looking.

Wayne
Awesome Wayne - Spring will come its just a matter of time

The internet is a black hole - nothing can escape it

Grimmy2016

Administrator
Scott
Nevermind - I missed the end quote that you got the plans from Rockler!

This looks perfect. Where did you get the plans? Are they loaded in the PLANS section of this site? I think my wife and I would enjoy making this together.

DSCN15392.JPG

DSCN15362.JPG

Thanks for looking.

Wayne

Last edited:

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Why put a "finish" on it and be doomed to "refinish" it in a few years? I'm a fan of Hank Gilpin on the subject of finishing outdoor furniture-it's easier to just build a replacement piece.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
This looks perfect. Where did you get the plans? Are they loaded in the PLANS section of this site? I think my wife and I would enjoy making this together.

From Rockler.....

http://www.rockler.com/adirondack-bench-templates-with-plan

I traced the cardboard templates onto 1/4" mdf and used them as router templates. I rough cut all the curves on the bandsaw and used a top bearing template bit on the router table. Now I have some sturdy templates for future builds. Also. It would be easy to use the same templates to do single seaters...just not as wide.

Too bad you didn't live a little closer.

Wayne

Last edited:

Grimmy2016

Administrator
Scott
Cary isnt all that far... make that drive a couple times a year actually. Sometimes just for day trips to MOMA.

But I will check the plans out and sorry I missed it the first time around. I love the idea of turning the templates into 1/4 MDF for re-usability.

From Rockler.....

http://www.rockler.com/adirondack-bench-templates-with-plan

I traced the cardboard ttemplates onto 1/4" mdf and used them as router templates. I rough all the curves on the bandsaw and used a top bearing template bit on the router table. Now I have some sturdy templates for future builds. Also. It would be easy to use the same templates to do single seaters...just not as wide.

Too bad you didn't live a little closer.

Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS