Baby Cradle

mlzettl

Matt
Corporate Member
Last fall we learned that our daughter was pregnant with our first grandchild. I decided to make a baby cradle, and after some research and design work arrived at a design that both daughter and son-in-law were in favor of. I began work as the new year began, and finished it end of March. I have attached photos of my concept sketch done with Sketchup, and a number of views of the finished product. The primary wood is curly maple, and the slats are sapele.

There were some challenges. I wanted a cradle that swung, but that also had the capability of switching to a traditional rocking design. The solution to that issue was using two large A-frames connected by a double stretcher that provided rigidity. Connected to the large A-frames are two smaller frames that support the cradle with four 1 1/4" diameter Delrin rods. The smaller frames swing on Delrin axles that connect them to the large frames. The cradle can be lifted out of the frame, and then set on the floor on rockers attached to its bottom.

The other major challenge was figuring out a knock down construction method so that the cradle could be packed flat for shipping to San Francisco, and for storage when not in use in between children (we're hoping for more than one!). I accomplished this by using 1/4 x 20 machine bolts with large, pan head style hex drive heads, and threaded brass inserts. The entire cradle can be assembled using only a 5/16 hex driver and a #2 Square drive screwdriver. It is rock solid, swinging easily and with excellent stability.

The overall design was inspired by mid century Scandinavian designs, and the iconic work of Sam Maloof.

Finally, I am happy to report that the cradle arrived safely in San Francisco last week, ensconced in a custom shipping crate that I made. They assembled the cradle in 30 minutes using instructions that I provided with photos of the entire assembly sequence. Now all it needs is the baby, our grandson due about a month from now.

Thanks for having a look. I would be happy to address any questions.

Matt

Cradle Concept 2.jpg
Cradle 3.jpg
20200321_105021.jpg
Cradle 8.jpg
Cradle 11.jpg
Cradle 15.jpg
Cradle 16.jpg

dancam

Dan
Corporate Member
Absolutely beautiful...love the design and the execution looks exceptional.

One question...what finish did you use?

mlzettl

Matt
Corporate Member
Absolutely beautiful...love the design and the execution looks exceptional.

One question...what finish did you use?
Thanks for your kind words, Dan. I used BioPoly NT from Earthpaint in Asheville, NC. I have been using that finish on most of my furniture for a number of years. If you are not familiar with it, it is a formulation of pine resin, linseed oil, and a citrus based solvent. It is totally non-toxic, and with essentially zero VOC. You just brush it on, wipe it off. The pine resin hardens over about 30 days.

dancam

Dan
Corporate Member
Thanks for your kind words, Dan. I used BioPoly NT from Earthpaint in Asheville, NC. I have been using that finish on most of my furniture for a number of years. If you are not familiar with it, it is a formulation of pine resin, linseed oil, and a citrus based solvent. It is totally non-toxic, and with essentially zero VOC. You just brush it on, wipe it off. The pine resin hardens over about 30 days.
Thanks Matt

JohnnyR

John
Corporate Member
Just !@$ing beautiful Matt. Should have a long time to think of a way to repurpose it as I would certainly want it on display forever.

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
Beautifully done as well as ingeniously designed; thank you for sharing!

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
That is so beautiful and well done that it made my arthritic hands hurt when I imagined all of the hand sanding and shaping.
Wow.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS