Baby Cradle progress with pics *(updated)*

Status
Not open for further replies.

ebarr

New User
Wayne
I have procrastinated enough. Baby shower in 2 weeks, baby due in 5 weeks. I hope to have this complete by the baby shower. Cradle made from Sapele with plans from Rockler. FYI this is my first attempt at what I would consider a major project.

showphoto.php
[/URL][/IMG]

part of the sides with template I made to get the curve right. Didn't know any other way of doing it without screwing it up.

showphoto.php
[/URL][/IMG]

sides assembled.

showphoto.php
[/URL][/IMG]

Long sides, These dowels took FOREVER to turn.

showphoto.php
[/URL][/IMG]

The feet roughed in. Lots of sanding to due yet

showphoto.php
[/URL][/IMG]

These will be the support spindles on each end. My small lathe will not turn anything over about 15 inches so I have to turn them in sections. two more sections to glue up.

showphoto.php
[/URL][/IMG]

showphoto.php
[/URL][/IMG]

First coat of Danish Oil.

This was a project that was probably a little over my head when I started. I haven't done anything remotely this big or complicated, and I haven't done anything half this size since High School. It turned out ok and I learned ALOT. It was an incredible amount of fun to see the project come together

Last edited:

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
Re: Baby Cradle progress with pics

Looks sturdy, and looking forward to more progress pics.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member

Looking great so far!

No pressure!!!:) (I was actually confronted with about the same timeline with one that I did for our new grand daughter.)

That sapele is going to look fantastic come finish time. Did you do the rungs in sapele as well?

That wee piece of furniture will last decades and be treasured I am sure

ebarr

New User
Wayne

Yes, the turnings are sapele. Mostly just dowels I made. Still took a pretty good chunk of time, and they are a little thicker than I had planed giving it the sturdy look.

I now have a about 11 days to get this done, and spent the entire day yesterday putting a new kitchen floor in. That will take up at least 2 more nights. :eek:

ebarr

New User
Wayne

Decided to do the rub on Danish Oil finish tonight. I hope to have this out of the shop this weekend. BUT **** it was fun

T

toolferone

WOW, A beautiful cradle! Nice job. I really am starting to love sapele.

CDPeters

Master of None
Chris

Looks GREAT Wayne - nice job. I didn't realize it is sapele and not cherry in your post on finishing - the Danish oil looks really good!

That is truly an heirloom piece that will be treasured for generations!

C.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors