Baby Cradle JIT thanks to FredP! (Pic heavy!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RandyJ

Randy
Corporate Member
A few weeks ago I had a project due but not enough time or talent to do it myself. Who would you call?

Well, I called the fastest NCWWer in the east, FredP.

Fred graciously agreed to help me pull it off. I brought the hard maple and breakfast and Fred took care of almost everything else! He did let me "help" a little (as long as I stayed out of his way). He was very patient and answered all my dumb questions.:embarrassed: I learned a lot and had a great time just getting to know him.

He's so fast, even a high-speed camera couldn't stop him in action! Just a blur...

CradleWIPFredsShop_1_.jpg

View image in gallery

In no time we had the sides and end panels glued up and partially sanded.

Oh yeah, no matter what he says, Fred LOVES sanding! Don't let him tell you otherwise.:rolf:

I blinked a couple of times to clear away the sawdust and he had already started the dry fit!:swoon:

Next thing I knew it was glued up before the day was done!

Second day was mostly final fit-up on the stand and more sanding. I'm not allowed to repeat here how Fred expressed his love for sanding!:wink_smil

At this point, mumbling under his breath, Fred threw me out of his shop because he was tired of looking at my ugly mug!:elvis: He also said he didn't want to deprive me of ALL the pleasure of sanding and finishing the piece.:rolleyes:

He said he would have been finished sooner but I brought breakfast and it slowed him down.:rolf:
After getting the cradle back to my shop, much more sanding occurred before the finish was sprayed on.

4 coats of lacquer later:

New owner and CEO: Nathan III

Oh, I forgot to tell you about my new grandson! Born 11-10, only a day old in this picture and is already rocking the night away. He slept 5 1/2 hours the first night in it!

He said to be sure and thank Fast Freddie for his help. He really likes his new bed!

Thanks Fred! That cradle would still be in pieces if not for you. You ROCK!

(Sorry about the poor picture quality. My lack of camera skills is only exceeded by my lack of woodworking skills. I will get a better pic of the finished product on my next visit)

Glennbear

Glenn
Very cool Randy, Fred is a unique craftsman for sure. :wink_smil It appears that Nathan has got the relaxing thing down pretty good. :gar-La;

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
enjoyed every minute of it! all 30 of em.....:-D congrats on the filler er umm critter..... er umm new grand child! yeh thats it / grand child he looks right at home!

Nelson

New User
Nelson
Nice work Randy & Fred! Looks like great teamwork.... (would have loved to have heard all the comments as the work was going on..especially the sanding part):gar-La;

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Great job guys!!!:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

And the new fella seems to have settled right in quite nicely.

Wayne

wooduser

New User
Lecil
:gar-La;:eusa_danc:eusa_dancGot any plans or basic dimensions. I need to build one of these.
Its a great problem to have.

RandyJ

Randy
Corporate Member
Thanks for the nice comments everyone. It truly was a learning experience for me and Fred is a great teacher. Little Nathan III (or critter as Fred called him) seems to enjoy it.

Lecil, my daughter found the cradle here: http://www.briskibusiness.com/woodworking/InProgress.aspx and asked if I could build it for her. The original was cherry but she wanted a lighter color, so we went with the hard maple.

There are some Sketchup drawings on the site but a lot of the dimensions are unreadable. Fred just eye-balled it for 8 seconds and started cutting! The man is amazing to watch in action.

Thanks again Fred!

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Did you happen to catch how fast Fred lays down a glue line? If you blinked you missed it and about 3 other steps too.

RandyJ

Randy
Corporate Member
Jeff, I missed the glue line and way more than 3 steps!

After eating his lunch, I think he ate mine too:rotflm:...That dude is FAST!

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Jeff, I missed the glue line and way more than 3 steps!

After eating his lunch, I think he ate mine too:rotflm:...That dude is FAST!

Yeah I think he's got it built in his head like a dozen different ways before he even causes one spec of saw dust to fly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors