Avocado wood

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
I have a huge Avocado tree and needed to trim one of the branches. I now have a 14" diameter piece about 5 ft long + some skinnier branches.
I took one of those smaller pieces and resawed it to see what the wood would look like.

The wood itself is supposed to darken up as it dries. We will see. The Avocado wood is about as hard as big leaf Maple or Sycamore. Thought I would share what the wood looks like.

Attachments

• Avacado wood (1).jpg
    Avacado wood (1).jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 212
  • Avacado wood (2).jpg
    Avacado wood (2).jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 194
  • Avacado wood (3).jpg
    Avacado wood (3).jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 187
  • Avacado wood (4).jpg
    Avacado wood (4).jpg
    961.5 KB · Views: 181

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Its wet still, I live in Hawaii. The cheapest shipping is the "if it fits it ships box" 15 bucks will ship a 5.5" x 12" round.
IF I were to ship wood,
I would think the Monkey Pod or Keawe (Ka-ah-veh) would be something more interesting. Monkey pod is highly colored white to dark brown. Keawe is a Mesquite. FYI- according to the local P.O. that 12 x 12 box shouldn't exceed 13 lbs, so no shipping a full box gold or silver in it ... :p

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
local P.O. that 12 x 12 box shouldn't exceed 13 lbs, so no shipping a full box gold or silver in it ... :p
I WILL pay for the extra shipping, if you are GIVING away your gold!

SabertoothBunny

SabertoothBunny
Corporate Member
Its wet still, I live in Hawaii. The cheapest shipping is the "if it fits it ships box" 15 bucks will ship a 5.5" x 12" round.
IF I were to ship wood,
I would think the Monkey Pod or Keawe (Ka-ah-veh) would be something more interesting. Monkey pod is highly colored white to dark brown. Keawe is a Mesquite. FYI- according to the local P.O. that 12 x 12 box shouldn't exceed 13 lbs, so no shipping a full box gold or silver in it ... :p

Ok, I will gladly pay the flat rate shipping price from the USPS at I think $15.95ish now. I will even pay for multiple boxes of different kinds of wood like avocado, monkey pod, keawe, etc.

Dee2

Board of Directors, Vice President
Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
Keawe is cool. Really cool. Planning to be on the big Isl in December. Leave a pile for me at the pier, please.

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
Walking along a road in Hilo over half a century ago, I was amazed to see avocado trees full of ripe fruit almost hanging over the roadway. I love avocados and would dearly loved to have picked 2 or three and dined on the succulent flesh, but I was afraid if I did so, I might be picking buckshot out of my flesh. I loved the exotic woods native to the islands, and had fun turning a bunch of monkey pod bowls. Oh the good old days!

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
2-300, depends on the year, there are 52 varieties of Avocados being grown here. My tree type is a bowling ball avocado they are round. Taste the same just different shape

Being an amateur sawdust maker but professional eater - how many avocados does one get off a "huge" tree?

Last edited:

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Guava - that is what I remember about my visit - like Bruce said - growing wild and a reasonably priced breakfast drink - we came home and I wished I would have packed some with me!

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
YES,,,,

Lilikoi, Guava, Lime, & Nectarine + Ice , 100proofVodka , and Cointreau

.......... blend up and drink the drink I call "Head on a fence post" ... :D

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
YES,,,,

Lilikoi, Guava, Lime, & Nectarine + Ice , 100proofVodka , and Cointreau

.......... blend up and drink the drink I call "Head on a fence post" ... :D
I'm in!

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
As a reverse to you guys' fawning over Pacific Island woods, I'll tell the story of my dad's brother stationed there during WWII. He LOVED pineapple before the war, and when he got there, they gave him pineapple 4-5 times a day. He eventually foundered on it, only to find when he got home that Grandma had saved ration coupons to have him a pantry full of it when he arrived.... :p
He swore he'd never eat it again.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
The common Island woods we have here are:

Mango, Monkeypod, Lychee, Robusta 2 types (silky oak and a eucalyptus) and Mimosa (Albezia).

The Monkey pod is lots of color variation, but it also has a wide hardness variation too. Albezia varieties are harder than oak a but it can be brittle, still depending on the variety (4 types typical).

Koa, Ohia, Uhiuhi, are expensive not used except if you want to pay 30-50 a bd ft. Keawe and Ironwood are great woods super hard like Ipe but uncommon to find unless you get lucky. Most wood workers don't like that they are so hard, it is hard to finish nicely.

Right now I am looking for when the next Monkey pod and Keawe trees are cut down to get some.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS