Automotive clay for wood projects?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyclopentadiene

Update your profile with your name
User
I just discovered the use of auto clay as a means to obtain an extremely smooth finish on my car after follow up with wax. Has anyone attempted to use this technique on a lacquer wood finish? I assume the lacquer is relatively similar as nitrocellulose is nitrocellulose.

These materials make an amazoing difference in the car finish and I would love to obtain this smooth of a fins have on my woodworking projects.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
What is auto clay?

Pop

Its also called clay bar. It is a clay and resin substance used by auto detailers and especially by car show participants to clean their paint jobs to a totally spotless state. Used with water, it picks up any contaminants, water spots, etc and to some extent polishes the surface. It also can be used on the windshield to remove road grime. Basically, it is like a bar of modeling clay that you rub the surface with using either water or detergent as a lubricant to pick up any foreign debris, old wax, etc leaving a super clean and smooth surface. As you work, you keep exposing fresh clay as it gets dirty.

It should work on a fully cured smooth coating, whether on wood or metal. I don't think i would try it on an oil based finish until it has cured for at least a month and don't think it would work on latex at all.

It is a cleaner, not a wax.

One example, but it usually comes more in bar form.

Go

https://www.amazon.com/Griots-Garag...=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B003POLA84
I

cyclopentadiene

Update your profile with your name
User
My thoughts were to use it after sanding between coats of finish. I have tried a tack cloth but these seem to leave a film. I generally prefer using mineral spirits. I am not sure but perhaps the mineral spirits could be used with the clay but otherwise just water may work fine.
I am never sure if i remove everything between coats and thought this may be beneficial. Also i generally use a very diluted last coat and sand to 1000 grit before wax. If clay would work for the dust removal it could leave a relly smooth surface. I assume the car clear coat is just a clear lacquer so this may just work?

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
My thoughts were to use it after sanding between coats of finish. I have tried a tack cloth but these seem to leave a film. I generally prefer using mineral spirits. I am not sure but perhaps the mineral spirits could be used with the clay but otherwise just water may work fine.
I am never sure if i remove everything between coats and thought this may be beneficial. Also i generally use a very diluted last coat and sand to 1000 grit before wax. If clay would work for the dust removal it could leave a relly smooth surface. I assume the car clear coat is just a clear lacquer so this may just work?

I would think it should work fine for that, as well as removing any sweat residue or hand prints/oils. Only downside is that it needs a lubricant (i.e water or detergent), and any residue needs to be flushed off, which may cause problems wetting unsealed surfaces. If you try it, please let us know how it worked.

Go

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
I thought the clay was used to remove embedded dirt in auto paints. Auto paints are mostly Acrylic, not Nitrocellulose. The regular compounds/polishes/swirl removers used for acrylics work well for nitro. Menzerna products are popular for finishing guitars, pianos and other wooden things with a high gloss.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS