Automatic Table Saw adjustments

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arcrist

New User
Andy
They're so automatic, I have no control over it. My rockwell table saw is acting up today. When I turn it on, the vibration pivots the blade pretty fast and extreme. The lock that holds the blade at its angle is aparently missing ( i didnt know one existed until I called my dad up about the problem)

Is there a replacement part or do I have to lock it in at 90 degrees permenantly by welding?

Heres a pic http://dreadcraft.com/img_1797.jpg
And heres a video http://dreadcraft.com/mvi_1799.avi

Otherwise, Id have to get a new saw, does anyone know a good one for around 200 bucks?

Also the gauge on this thing doesnt even match up with the hole on the side of the table. Its like a stick on metal sheet. And when I pivot the blade, I can go past 0 degrees (where it should stop) and the gauge needle pulls back behind the wall.

Thanks
Andy

Last edited:

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
The BORG has the Ryobi BT3100 on sale right now for $249.00. The saw does get some pretty good reviews. (If interested, you can check out the Forum of owners at:http://www.bt3central.com/.

Not sure about parts for your Rockwell.

Wayne

Arcrist

New User
Andy
I dont know about u guys but that looks like poo. It got reviews that the blade it comes with is warped, the bolt to lock the guard in place breaks, and home depot says its belt driven when owners say its direct drive.

Just sounds sketchy to me, id just assume open an equity line and buy myself a delta.

cpowell

New User
Chuck
If this is the only problem you've seen and you have some time to look for solutions I would recommend you post both here and at other forums for information/part sources. Be more specific with regard to Model Number, mfg year, etc. I'd try searching topics at Sawmill Creek, Woodnet, woodworking.com, theoak.com forums, old woodworking machines forum (good source for OLD Iron machines), etc. If no luck, join them and post your question. You may find a simple solution or get certain knowledge that there is a flaw.

Maybe someone else has that model/year and has found a good source for replacement parts. What are the details for this saw?

I wouldn't weld in place just yet, particularly if the saw is basically in OK shape.

Have you Googled for part sources?

I am very skeptical about a 100 dollar TS. It sounds little more than a circular saw mounted upside down in the table. I had the impression that some of the older Craftsman machines were better built than the newer ones and likely a whole bunch have been sold. You should be able to get an answer.

Are you having any other problems? Are you patient enough to sort things out? I don't have the patience to work through problems on new machines but a certain number of problems may be acceptable on an older machine.

Hopefully some of the folks here who are more knowledgeable than I (ok, that's most everyone) will chime in.

Chuck

chris99z71

New User
Chris
That Delta is the only saw I've had for 4 years. I can't tell you how glad I am to be upgrading. It cuts, but the precision is very poor even with a descent blade in it. The throat plate is VERY flexible and sags all over the place. The biggest problem is that the fence is way, way too short. You just can't get enough of your piece up against the fence to make a strait cut. Also, you can't rip anything over about 11.5" wide.
But then again, if you're living in an apartment or at the very, very beginning of learning woodworking - go for it. If it was me, I'd try to buy a used saw that's a little better. Insomniac may still have his for sale...i'm not sure. It's an awesome deal though... here

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Andy, I see what you are talking about. Some more information would be helpful. Like has been suggested a model number or a wider shot of the saw might help in diagnosing the problem.
Like I said earlier you'll get what you pay for when you buy a table saw. Give some more info and maybe we can come up with a solution to buy you some time to save a little for a good saw.
Dave:)

M

McRabbet

Andy,

Your saw is an old Rockwell/Delta Tilting Arbor Saw -- I have a 9" one that is a little different, but I suspect I know the problem. There is one control axis for raising and lowering the blade (the straight handle wheel connects through to the screw you see exposed in pic 1802), a knurled outer rim that controls the miter angle (this rotates motor and blade to 45 degrees right with the white spur gear in 1802), and a center knob that should lock both of these. On my saw, there is no center knob, but a blade control behind the knurled rim that locks the miter and blade controls. I would disassemble this control set (on mine, there is a retainer on the shaft that holds the knurled rimmed assembly in place) and clean all of the parts, re-grease them and reassemble. The center knob is the blade height and miter lock and it is not holding. Overall, the saw needs cleaning.

The other issue is to find the source of the vibration -- check your saw blade and make certain that you are not missing teeth or that you have not put the blade washer and bolt on incorrectly (mine has a small bolt that threads into the arbor shaft). Make sure the motor mount bolts are all tight and that the trunnion (the whole motor/tilting arbor assembly) is not loose.

I had problems tilting the blade and took my saw apart 3 years ago (even the arbor/belt blade raising assembly) and cleaned it thoroughly. It was filthy and all of the gears and parts caked with sawdust. After I finished, all of the controls worked smoothly and the locking tab locks properly. Give it a go.

And, by the way, do not waste your money on a Delta Shopmaster saw. There are many better choices in the $300-500 range. Since you are trying to make money with your saw, invest in a more precise unit. The Ryobi BT3xxx series is good as are the Dewalt woodworker hybrids. And check out the Grizzly line of good contractor saws, their new hybrid, or their cabinet saws (I have a Grizzly G1023SLX and it is an awesome saw)!

Rob

DaveO

New User
DaveO
You might find some info here:

http://www.bobvila.com/wwwboard/messages/154578.html

I am sure that something could be done to lock the saw at 90º but that would suck because bevel cuts are important. The link I mentioned above might lead you to replacement parts for the saw and help to get it back in normal working order. I followed a similar path for instructions for a 60 year old lathe and found the one guy in this country that had a copy and he sent it to me, along with some great operational experience.
Dave:)

erasmussen

RAS
Corporate Member
I have a roybi bt3100, IT IS BELT DRIVEN.
I think its a wonderful saw, its the only one in its price range with a sliding miter table.
It makes precise cuts, my blade is very good leaves miter cuts smooth like glass.
However it does take some setup before you can use it, and its not a saw for everyone, its not as rugged as most people are used to.
it takes very little force on the locks to lock them, and I would think you could brake them with overtork.
I had a minor problem with my sliding miter table (not enough to make it unusable) when i called ryobi they sent me a new one no charge, thats good customer relations in IMHO. now I have 2 of them:mrgreen:
my $.02

KWLTLL

New User
Kevin
Hey Andy. As for the $100 Delta, I have one that I use at work. It is ok, but for the money, I'm upgrading a lil bit. Lowes has a Tradesman for $169 that is a much heavier saw, and has a nice size table on it. I don't think you'll beat it for the price.

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
Andy,

you might want to keep an eye out for deals at Lowes, like this one. It happens! And you can get a much better saw than the Shopmaster or Tradesman

Arcrist

New User
Andy
I am happy to say that my saw is workable now. My dad came over and tightened up the shaft where the lock was attached to. So its locked in at 0 degrees now, and in the meantime I can search for a part while not affecting my production too much.

I asked a few guys at work today who work in the maintenance dept. about my issue. They were old enough to know my saw but didnt know much about the parts. Oh well :(

Arcrist

New User
Andy
Yeah I did, very simple plier job. Im back in action! working on 3 new boxes today!

Its funny how much you realize you enjoy woodworking when all of a sudden you cant. (thats a good quote right there!)

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Delta stocks a lot of parts and manuals online on their website. If you haven't tried check them out or even call them. In my experience, they have been excellent to deal with.

Arcrist

New User
Andy
Actually I got it narrowed down the the part number sent to me by this guy.

Bill Harrison
Circle Saw Builder's Supply
2510 Ella Blvd.
Houston, Tx 77008
713-864-8444
www.circlesaw.com

Im waiting for a response with the price of the part. (the lock lever)

Sharp Blade

New User
Anna-Catherine
Arcrist said:
I dont know about u guys but that looks like poo. It got reviews that the blade it comes with is warped, the bolt to lock the guard in place breaks, and home depot says its belt driven when owners say its direct drive.

Just sounds sketchy to me, id just assume open an equity line and buy myself a delta.

Excuse me, but I just got this saw for Christmas. I have gotten great results from it. My blade isn't warped at all, just my mind. But that's a different story all together. LOL The bolts that lock the guard in place hardly have any pressure on them to break. The saw is too belt driven. There are two belts in fact. I just looked and saw them. Also, the manual has them listed as well. I think you might be thinking of another table saw.
Below is a photo of the BT3100

Attachments

• BT3100.jpg
    BT3100.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 154

Mtnman

New User
Talley Pollard
When checking for the source of vibration, don't overlook the drive belt if your saw has one. I use one of those "link" belts on my Grizzley, it runs real smooth!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS