Automatic Switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeF

New User
Mike
Hi All, it has been a while since I posted, I have been out of town quite a lot lately.

I know this subject has come up in the past and just thought I would pass along an interesting article from design news website.

Advertisement

(Click on "Skip this ad")

Mike

Monty

New User
Monty
That does look interesting... I'd be afraid I would melt something if I tried that!

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
FWW Aug 2000 featured and automatic dust collection switch using a sensor from SSAC and a relay. No transformer required, as it runs off normal 110 power. I added a cube timer (delay on break) to mine. Sensor is mounted in lower portion of panel, along with relay, and timer. When I turn on a machine that has wire through sensor, DC comes on automatically. After machine is turned off, DC runs for ten seconds more to clear pipes. Total costs less than $100. Until you have had automatic DC, you don't know how good it is. I'm rewiring my shop using multiwire branch circuits. What this means is a double pole breaker, along with a neutral is used to feed circuits. This allows for two 110's and one 220 using three wires (plus ground.) One of the hots passes through sensor. The 220 is always on DC sensor, along with one of the 110's. SWEET! At each location, I have two 110 recpt. and a 220 recpt. This is an efficent use of wire. Idea is originally from Popular Woodworking article a couple years back.

Jim Murphy

New User
Fern HollowMan
Okay, how does this work with blast gates? I'm planning to reed-switch at the blast gates. Seems to me unless you have auto-open BGs you could fire up the DC and not have anything open. Being old and feeble minded, having to open the BG at least insures that I have an open gate. Failure to open the gate results in dust, of course, but what happens when the DC fires and the gates are closed?

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Okay, how does this work with blast gates? I'm planning to reed-switch at the blast gates. Seems to me unless you have auto-open BGs you could fire up the DC and not have anything open. Being old and feeble minded, having to open the BG at least insures that I have an open gate. Failure to open the gate results in dust, of course, but what happens when the DC fires and the gates are closed?
The only time the blast gate at my TS is closed is when I use another machine. Reed switchs wouldn't do me any good as DC would run most of the time. Even with reed switches, failure to open gate will result in dust. "Being old and feeble minded, if you can't remember to turn on DC, what makes you think you will remember to open blast gate? It's a case of "CRS." I know as I have a full blown case. Now what was I saying? I forgot.:eusa_doh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS