Auto-gate update #2A *w/new pic*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
New pic and text added to bottom of thread. 5/5/08

I wish I had a digital movie camera to capture the gates in action! My digital still camera takes bad movies.

Anyway- here is where we stand-

All the gates and solenoid valves are mounted behind the walls or under the floor.
Air lines have been run to all solenoids and actuators.
Manual control stations have been wired.
The special circuit board (subject of my previous post) that starts the DC is installed and works great. This circuit senses when any gate has been opened and starts the DC- it eliminates the need to have a switch at each gate or machine.

Almost everything is wired (and works great!!!). All that remains are the machine connections. I will either install small relays in each machine or go back to my original plan that required current sensing switches at each outlet.

From L to R: Auto-gate manual control station, blast gate air regulator and gauge (blast gates run on 15-20 psi), power switch for the 24V solenoid transformer, original shop air regulator, etc. original DC START/STOP buttons-

P4280011.JPG

One of the auto-gate manual control stations:

P4280012.JPG

All that is visible on the wall are the DC ports (gray inside is the gate slide), and manual control stations:

P4280013.JPG

The wizardry behind the curtain (wall). On the left is the plumbing for the shop air (blue thing is a filter). On the right is the plumbing for the auto-gate air.

P4280014.JPG

The gray transformer provides 24V DC to the solenoids (the circuit board to start the DC blower is inside the lower part of the enclosure). The brown bell wire provides 24V to the solenoid valves.

P4280015.JPG

A wired and plumbed auto-gate. The solenoid valve is on the right. The actuating cylinders are double acting- powered open and closed, so require two hose connections. This particular 4" blast gate is one of the first ones I made about 8 - 10 years ago for my old shop in VA.

P4280020.JPG

One of the garage ceiling mounted blast gates for the in-floor DC port to the table saw. A similar one is for the jointer:

P4280022.JPG

A close-up of one of the smaller solenoid valves (I have two different sizes from two separate Ebay purchases. Solenoid valves and actuating cylinders were all from Ebay). The gray and orange fitting is a flow restrictor. I discovered I needed them to slow down gate actuation speed. The brass colored fittings are exhaust port filters/mufflers- I put them on the keep spiders from taking up residence in the solenoid valve.

P4280025.JPG

Update:

I outfitted some of my auto-gates with current sensing switches. I put small current sensor switches in electrical boxes which I mounted next to the 120V and 220V outlet boxes in my kneewalls. One conductor (the black, "sensed wire") runs from the outlet box, to the coil box, through the opening in the coil, then back to the outlet box. The coil and its internal circuitry sense when there is current running in the conductor and closes an internal switch which is wired to the solenoid valves (black and orange wires.) Though the rating of the switch is limited, it is sufficient to control the 24V solenoids. Slicker than snot, as it were!!!

P50400021.JPG

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Re: Auto-gate update #2 *w/pics*

Stupendous!

One question - do the auto-gates have a sensor like a garage door, so that if it is closing and it senses there is an obstruction, it then backs up?
:rotflm:

sshelton

New User
Steven

Awesome setup !!. Does this work like a central vacum setup ? Was it costly to put together ?

Steven

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member

Stupendous!

One question - do the auto-gates have a sensor like a garage door, so that if it is closing and it senses there is an obstruction, it then backs up?
:rotflm:

No, I never got around to sharpening the edges of the slide and with only 15-20 psi there is only a danger of a mild sprain or dislocation if you close a gate on an arm or finger rather than an amputation! :gar-La; :saw:

Awesome setup !!. Does this work like a central vacum setup ? Was it costly to put together ?

Steven

Thanks. Kinda like a central vac, only much more powerful and with a bit more automation. The cost was a little more than I had hoped, but after everything, came out to around $35 per gate- much less than the $200+ for gate only from EcoGate.

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy

Is this a woodshop or behind the scenes of a hospital operating room?:rotflm:

That is an awesome setup

J

jeff...

Looks a lot like a laboratory - see your getting ready for [strike] green rocket[/strike] production. Don't worry none - your secret is safe with me :crossedlips:

M

McRabbet

Very nice system; slick, compact and professional. I sure wish you'd come and built one for me, too!

I'm just beginning to get back enough shoulder strength from my rotator cuff surgery in February (I'm at 100% on extension and I'm just rebuilding muscle strength now) so I can start back on installing my ClearVue system. My first task before my Doctor sees me in 2 weeks is to make new 6" ports for my bigger machines -- I just hate cutting a 6" hole in the side of my cabinet saw base, but that's the first one I'll do. I guess it is time to pull out the ear cuffs and saber saw!

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Man, that is some setup! :icon_thum
I'd be tickled if I just had a dustpan that was flat to the floor!:rotflm:
.........but I'm taking notes!

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
GEEEZZZZZ!!!!! You are going to have a battle station like an aircraft carrier.

Slick, but man what a bunch of parts and components to tie together!

Especially like the lights!

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
I think you're going to have to buy a new camera Alan. I want to see a VIDEO of these things working. Also, you should submit these pictures to every WW magazine out there, for the category "BEYOND COOL" or "EXTREME WORKSHOPS".

Amazing stuff!!!

Terry

New User
Terrence P. Rielly
Nice job Alan! You put alot of thought into this and the set-up is awesome. Terry:icon_thum

TV

New User
Todd Vaughn
Absolutely sweet setup! I second Bas, need to see this control system in action.

tv

Bill Pentz

New User
Bill Pentz
Alan,

Good Job! Just like your dust bin full sensor, you are again setting a new level in terms of the quality of your automatic blast gates and making them at a most affordable price.

I have a spare bedroom. Do you want to come help me with a similar for my shop? *smile*

Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS