Attic Insulation Advice needed...

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluthart

New User
Brian
I have a 1963 house with a 4/12 pitch hip roof with at least 12" of blown cellulose insulation on the cieling. I put a new roof on last year a and on the advice of my "roofer" I removed 6 box vents (without fans) from the roof, but have a complete vented ridge. A different friend of mine suggested the foil barrier stapled to the roof rafters (24" OC) to help with convection. Any experience with this? The cieling inside the house is getting very warm these days...

Bigdog72

New User
Geoff
Do you have vented soffet? If you don't you need to add something to increase air flow in the attic. Add gable vents or, if the attic isn't to cut up, an attic fan. The foil will help but you need to get air moving through your attic or that new roof won't last very long. As always, YMMV! :banana:

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
House I'm in now HAD foil on the rafters until it was removed by a previous owner. It was buckling the sheathing from the heat. A 4/12 pitch is too shallow to effectively get near the eaves from the attic with 12" of insulation You should have a free flow from the eaves to the attic via insulation dams to the underside of the sheathing between the rafters. If you don't have soffit vents, get some.
And remember the old Danish proverb: "He who listens to every man's advice shall build a crooked house" :gar-Bi
HTH

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS