Attaching Corian material to wood

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Wilkins

Mike
Corporate Member
Anyone between the Blue Ridge Parkway and East Carolina University can answer this question. I just completed a cabinet that will have a solid surface insert inset into a mitered frame. Does anyone have any idea what is the best adhesive for securing this material to the wood frame?
This is my 1st try at this and I am stumped. Which is easy for me.
Thanks and watch those fingers.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Three things come to mind. One, epoxy. Two, polyurethane glue like Gorilla Glue. Three, mill a tongue in the Corian and a groove in the frame and let it float.
My .02, Dave:)

woodguy1975

New User
John
Epoxy or even CA glue will work. I CA corian to other materials all the time. You can even use figured 8s and screw it to the frame as long as your screws are short enough.

Good Luck,

John

DaveD

New User
Dave
Dab some liquid nails in the corners and a couple along the edges and set it in. Don't need much. Think about having to take it out years down the line. If you think its going to be too hard then your useing too much glue.

Mountaincraft

New User
William
I use Lexel (butyl rubber adhesive) to attach solid surface materials to wood frames. Just a few dabs will do, if it is not important to the structure. Using epoxy or polyurethane will most definitely adhere, but they will make the bond so inflexible that the forces transfered from Corian to the frame can cause other joints to fail from ridgid shock loading. Liquid Nails is more flexible, but it is still overkill. Lexel is a miracle adhesive for such purposes. Even if the frame is warped under load, the Corian will hold it together without transfering the massive forces that result from materials of significantly different ridgitities in the same structure. It's drawback is the VOC's.

Mike Wilkins

Mike
Corporate Member
I love it when I answer my own questions. I found a product at the Home Depot made by the Liquid Nails people made for attaching granite, stone products and solid surface materials (such as Corian). Costs about $5 and comes in the caulk-type tubes.
Thanks guys for the tips.
I need a new table saw. Anyone got any winning lottery numbers????

M

McRabbet

Mike Wilkins said:
I need a new table saw. Anyone got any winning lottery numbers????
Yep. Just go to your phone and dial these winning digits: 1-800-523-4777 and say charge it!

IMHO, a Great tablesaw... :saw:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS