Attaching a table top

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vanilla Gorilla

New User
Marco Principio
Other than figure 8 fasteners, what is another good way to attach a table top to the frame? What about dowels, or is there too much of a problem with wood movement of the table top? If nothing else, I'll do figure 8's, but I was kind of wanting to stay away from metal fasteners at all, and do this one old school.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
You can make wood blocks with a tongue that will fit into a slot in the aprons. Screw the blocks to the table top and set the tongues into grooves that are tight vertically but loose horizontally. Did I beat Insom to this one???

Dave:)

DaveO

New User
DaveO
NCPete said:
does spell check help after the third glass of wine??:drunken_s
Yes, but it just has a harder job 'cause your fingers are fatter. It is worthless when you fall face down on the keyboard, DAMHIKT :lol: :lol:

Dave:)

Vanilla Gorilla

New User
Marco Principio
would I have to screw the blocks to the top? or would glue suffice...keep in mind, if I can I would like to stay away from any metal. just an experiment

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
then I will have to stop drinking around the laptop. the desktop's keyboard would be easier to replace, and less difficult to explain to LOML! :lol:

caught salivating over new MS keyboard in Staples today...... But I need the wireless keyboard! (easier to justify $80 keyboard, than $800 jointer for the student than the amateur woodworker...)

sapwood

New User
Roger
Marco,

Craftsman extraordinaire DavidF did this:

DSCF0002.JPG

Light years ahead of me :mrgreen:

Sapwood

BBF

New User
David & Judy
Its just another way but we attached our table tops using a bisquet jointer so far sweet and sturdy Good luck We don't like Fastners if we can help it
Dave &Judy

Vanilla Gorilla

New User
Marco Principio
see, if I did that, I wouldn't be original...besides, I'm looking for a challenge :slap:

seriously though, That really is amazing work. Gives me something to aspire to

Matt

New User
Matt Willis
Sapwood, do you have more pictures of that table? I want to see the rest of it:notworthy

sapwood

New User
Roger
Matt, this is from DavidF's gallery. There are several pixs of this table and his famous demilune in the gallery. It's easy to spend an hour or two checking out the amazing craftmanship and diversity of talent displayed in the NCWoodworkers gallery. :icon_thum

Sapwood

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS