Ashville

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dee2

Board of Directors, Vice President
Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
I've got some free time coming 6/30 in Ashville. Besides Klingspor and driving the Parkway, is there anything I shouldn't miss?

Steve_Honeycutt

Chat Administartor
Steve
Gene,

There is also Biltmore Hardware that specializes in wood and woodworking. They generally have some interesting slabs and a small section of used tools.

If you are driving, you might want to stop by West Penn Hardwoods, which is about 3-4 miles off of I-40 in Conover.

Brian Boggs has his chair making shop in Asheville. I understand that he accommodates visitors.

New morning gallery in Biltmore can have some interesting items.

Asheville also has a River Arts District with many different kinds of art and studios. The artists like to have visitors. There are several different studios within walking distance.

The Folk Arts Center is located on the Blue Ridge Parkway and they can have some really interesting exhibits.

If you are looking for something other than woodworking; hiking, white water rafting, waterfall adventures are all possibilities. If you are there on Friday, you can see some interesting people at a free small street festival called "Downtown After 5".

I grew up in Asheville, so if you would like to have some restaurant recommendations, PM me. I have no personal connections to any of the businesses mentioned.

gritz

New User
Robert
The Folk Art Center has two locations...on the parkway and east of downtown...both worth a visit.
There are interesting galleries at Grovewood Village across from The Grove Park Inn.
The Moose Cafe.

Claus

Claus
User
I think that the Grove Park Inn itself is worth a visit. Most of the lobby and public areas are full of Arts and Crafts furniture - tables, chairs, lamps and more.

And the North Carolina Arboretum:

https://www.ncarboretum.org/

... has a very nice collection of Bonzai trees, among other things.

And lastly, if you're into beer, there's a lot of breweries. Sierra Nevada near the airport has a very nice outside patio with a pretty broad collection on tap.

Enjoy,

--Claus

Dee2

Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
Thanks for all of the suggestions. Not sure I will get to visit everyone of them.

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
I think that the Grove Park Inn itself is worth a visit. --Claus

Not sure if this has been included in the suggestions so far, but the craft and furniture gallery in behind the Grove Park Inn is TOP NOTCH. The furniture on 2nd floor and smaller pottery, jewelry, and woodwork items on 1st floor are world class. I don't know the area very well, so all I can describe is that the gallery is immediately behind the Inn (i.e within 100 feet?), with just a single roadway in between. If I had my way I would get there every time I get to Asheville.

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
It all depends on your interests. Besides some of the things suggested The Botanical Gardens at UNCA are nice as well. Heck of a selection of breweries in Beer City. Sierra Nevada has a nice restaurant on their site. Bold Rock specializes in hard cider - their pear is worth a try and on tap is so much better than the canned they send out. There are bus Brewz Cruz and peddled beer tours for those inclined. The Biltmore Estate is always worth seeing if you've never had the chance. A short tour through the house is designed to take about an hour and a half and offers soe incredible woodwork and antiques beyond belife. The grounds and gardens are impressive any time of the year. The newer Antler Hill Village and the Winery appeal to lots of folks. https://www.biltmore.com/ If you are looking for lumber also add BeeTree Hardwood, Gennett lumber, and Cormark to your list. Close to Cormark is the Vance birthplace pretty nicely maintained birthplace of NC governor and civil war officer Zebulon B. Vance. If you have any specific interests I'd be glad to offer some suggestions. Only thing about Asheville is the lay out. Best to sort of plan your trip as it can be tricky to maneuver without a lot of backtracking. The city always said Asheville was laid out like a hand and it can be tricky to get from finger to finger.

Dee2

Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
Thanks again. I made it to Asheville Hardware, Gennette Hardwoods, and Scrounger's Paradise. BeeTree was a residence and all the gates were closed. Probably should have called ahead. Bought a couple of smaller pieces of wood at the Scrounger's Paradise from "Just Jim", head of operations. Nice guy. Not far off I-40.

Tomorrow as time allows, plan to visit Grove Arcade wish I think is also known as the Grove Village. Only found a parking lot and pro shop across from the GPI.

Dee2

Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
Ended up not going to the arcade and I did find the gallery which was worth a visit as indicated above. Thanks again to all.

Having GPI cookies and milk in the room and at bedtime at the Grove Park Inn was only available because we have no (grand)children at home, bawhahaha.

Michael Mathews

Michael
Corporate Member
I know it's after the fact, but if you're in downtown Asheville, and you're one of "those types", there is the Pinball Museum! I was there this past spring and we had a blast playing all the old pinball machines! And a bonus if you're there on the weekend, say Hi to my daughter, Hannah!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors