Asheville CL - Pair of DW733 Planers $200 each

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
This is the model I have, it has resharpenable blades instead of the disposable ones. To me this is a great advantage. They are also pretty easy to set and adjust. Requires a good dust collector to keep the chute clear.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
This is the model I have, it has resharpenable blades instead of the disposable ones. To me this is a great advantage. They are also pretty easy to set and adjust. Requires a good dust collector to keep the chute clear.
But... But.. But... Mike - you are like the master sharp guy. Can you share your technique to sharpen straight planer blades? - please.

"Any society that will give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" -- Benjamin Franklin

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Coarse, medium, fine.
Got a video -:) I know Im not the only one who would like a video.

I found my wife's electric knife sharpener works OK in a pinch if I hold the blade at the right angle. But the edge don't last long, but is OK in a pinch...

Plus my wife gets so mad at me because I stepped foot in her kitchen and used her tool, yada, yada, yada... So I have to wait until she leaves the house.

Just like "Stain" - Menopause is one of those very few words that actually means what it say " Men o pause" this is where the wife puts me on pause -:lol

"Any society that will give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" -- Benjamin Franklin

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Most people let their planer blades go too far to hone them by hand.

I do mine before they get dull, so the always cut like new, I don't have to work too hard to keep them sharp, and I never have to grind them. Unless I hit a nail or something that chips the blades.

If you can sharpen a chisel, handplane or butcher knife, you can sharpen planer blade knives.

Diamond plates in coarse, medium and fine are all you need. But, if you let them go too long or get a chip then they have to go to the grinder.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Most people let their planer blades go too far to hone them by hand.

I do mine before they get dull, so the always cut like new, I don't have to work too hard to keep them sharp, and I never have to grind them. Unless I hit a nail or something that chips the blades.

If you can sharpen a chisel, handplane or butcher knife, you can sharpen planer blade knives.

Diamond plates in coarse, medium and fine are all you need. But, if you let them go too long or get a chip then they have to go to the grinder.
So just the backside then - like a router bit - if I hear you correctly?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS