Asheville area hardwood and plywood suppliers

gwyth33

New User
Mike
Hey Folks - I'm new to the Asheville area and interested in finding some good local suppliers furniture grade hardwoods and plywood.

holstein13

New User
Paul
That is an excellent resource. I've used four of them so far:
Green River Woods: Matt Christy is a great guy. He made a custom dining room table and all my stair treads. They look amazing
Sundried Lumber: This was a very primitive experience. I don't think it's a full-time job for him. He cut down the sizes I needed with a circular saw. It's a small operation. But he was nice, and it's close to downtown.
Bee Tree Hardwoods: This is a great place to get almost anything at a great price, and they will surface it on three sides (S3S), saving you a ton of time and expensive equipment.
Klingspor's Woodworking Shop: This is a great place for tools but has a limited selection of lumber and is expensive. I love the staff there and the availability of excellent tools and exotic woods, but I'll go to Bee Tree for most of my lumber.

One other note, Bee Tree was asking for appointments, so be sure to call before you go.

Ray Morgan

Ray
Corporate Member
Try Catawba Hardwoods at exit 90 on I 40. This is the Nebo Lake James exit. They handle domestic hardwoods and plywood in cabinet grades. Business is on north side of I 40.

Linc H

Linc
Corporate Member
When I go to Asheville the trip wouldn't be complete without rummaging around Scroungers paradise. Scroungers Paradise
They have a lot of "stuff" if nothing else it is interesting. There are some unique exotic pieces of wood to see. Last time we bought some really nice canary wood. The website makes it sound like a flooring company, its basically a massive warehouse that seems to be something out of an episode of Pickers.

Attachments

• Scroungers.jpg
    Scroungers.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 82
  • scroungers 1.jpg
    scroungers 1.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 85

JeffH

Jeff
Senior User
Another place that should be on your list is Cormark in Weaverville. Lots of exotics. I don't recall ever seeing plywood there, but that doesn't mean it isn't there.

birdsmouth

New User
birdsmouth
Another place that should be on your list is Cormark in Weaverville. Lots of exotics. I don't recall ever seeing plywood there, but that doesn't mean it isn't there.
I’ve bought quite a bit of plywood from Cormack (hardwood and baltic birch).

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I’ve bought quite a bit of plywood from Cormack (hardwood and baltic birch).
@birdsmouth did you mean Coremark in Asheville (Weaverville)?

birdsmouth

New User
birdsmouth
@birdsmouth did you mean Coremark in Asheville (Weaverville)?
Cormark, yes. We both need to work on our spelling!

hkcollector007

New User
james
Thanks to this thread I made it to Gennett for 3/4 walnut ply and Bee Tree for a 8/4 Walnut slab last week. Both were great to deal with. Thanks for the heads up.
Used the Master NC Woodworker Lumber map again for Appalachian Walnut Co in Lincolnton for some 4/4 hard maple. Great guys to deal with. Thanks again for the map, its been a great resource.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS