Ash Lumber in Butner Area

Snydan

New User
Andrew
My Brother just milled up a standing dead Ash. Anyone interested in purchasing pieces six foot in length, 1" thick, between 4"-12" wide?

Attachments

• Resized_20200817_112716_346.jpg
    Resized_20200817_112716_346.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 170
  • Resized_20200817_112721_498.jpg
    Resized_20200817_112721_498.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 170

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
Welcome to the family Andrew, why not tell us a little about yourself. How much per board foot is your brother asking?

Snydan

New User
Andrew
Welcome to the family Andrew, why not tell us a little about yourself. How much per board foot is your brother asking?
I work for the NC Forest Service. I work on small projects like shelves, boxes, and woodcarving. My brother and I both got our love of woodworking from our father, who did many of the same kinds of projects as we were growing up. We have gathered wood all our lives. When the Ash tree died in his yard he had it brought down and as a present I paid for the mill to come out and cut it up for him. As for how much per board foot not really sure what to ask for.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Where did you find the mobile mill to come out and mill it?

I'd like to get a closer look at your pictures but can't zoom in on them. Butner isn't to far from me in Rougemont. I realize that the tree died but is the wood dry or still relatively green?

I'd be concerned about getting ash lumber from Granville county because of the Emerald Ash Borer.

Snydan

New User
Andrew
Where did you find the mobile mill to come out and mill it? I called the Granville county NC Forest Service office and he gave me a list of operators. The two that contacted me back were Lynch Co. 919-414-0565 and Carolina Custom Cut LLC 9195482884

I'd like to get a closer look at your pictures but can't zoom in on them. Butner isn't to far from me in Rougemont. I realize that the tree died but is the wood dry or still relatively green? Pretty dry standing dead (no leaves) for three months.

I'd be concerned about getting ash lumber from Granville county because of the Emerald Ash Borer. This tree definitely died from Emerald Ash Borer. The quarentine zone for EAB covers the whole state. EAB has been found in both Durham and Person counties.

Snydan

New User
Andrew

One of the treatments is cutting all the bark off. Which we have done.

not all the boards have the little dots.
1597925365115_art0.jpg
If you would like to see the wood just let me know.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
One of the treatments is cutting all the bark off. Which we have done.

not all the boards have the little dots. View attachment 196044 If you would like to see the wood just let me know.

I can't zoom in on your pictures to get a closeup magnified view and can't see "the little dots"! Ash is one of the hardwoods that may have powder post beetles. Kiln sterilization will kill the beetles but their little holes will remain.

Snydan

New User
Andrew
I can't zoom in on your pictures to get a closeup magnified view and can't see "the little dots"! Ash is one of the hardwoods that may have powder post beetles. Kiln sterilization will kill the beetles but their little holes will remain.

I will try and get a petter quality picture. With the rain last night i was not able to get any.

Brian Patterson

New User
Bstrom
I love Ash but a batch I bought recently is full of woodborer holes and black spots that make it almost unusable in a natural finish. Great, strong wood but hard to get cosmetically clean it seems...

Snydan

New User
Andrew
I love Ash but a batch I bought recently is full of woodborer holes and black spots that make it almost unusable in a natural finish. Great, strong wood but hard to get cosmetically clean it seems...
mine is the same way. little black spots and little holes.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS