Ash and Mahogany Bookcase

danceswithwindows

danceswithwindows
Corporate Member
Sharing an Ash and Mahogany bookcase I built with the help of a little friend for his bedroom. Top is 5/4 Ash and Mahogany. Legs are 8/4 Ash. Mortise and Tenon joinery (hand cut the 24 mortises which was tough but I learned alot). Jointed boards prior to glue up with No. 6 Stanley - a wonderful tool. Used cabinet scraper and card scraper for smoothing - wanted to avoid sanding and experience how it used to be done before sanding was a big thing. Learned alot about sharpening too! Finished with Osmo. Best piece I have made to date. I hope you enjoy the photos.

Attachments

• IMG_8490.JPG
    IMG_8490.JPG
    4.7 MB · Views: 174
  • IMG_8563.JPG
    IMG_8563.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 159
  • IMG_8630.JPG
    IMG_8630.JPG
    5 MB · Views: 150
  • IMG_8686.JPG
    IMG_8686.JPG
    5 MB · Views: 163
  • IMG_8729.JPG
    IMG_8729.JPG
    5 MB · Views: 180
  • IMG_8731.JPG
    IMG_8731.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 184
  • IMG_8771.JPG
    IMG_8771.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 185
  • IMG_8854.JPG
    IMG_8854.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 180
  • IMG_8855.JPG
    IMG_8855.JPG
    5 MB · Views: 204
  • IMG_8861.JPG
    IMG_8861.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 199
  • IMG_8862.JPG
    IMG_8862.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 194

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
"I made that! (with a little help from my Dad)"
My kids can only now say that, but they are 25+ years older than your apprentice.

Great project and results.

Tell me what Osmo is ( I know it is a type of finish; that's all I know) and why you chose that.

danceswithwindows

danceswithwindows
Corporate Member
"I made that! (with a little help from my Dad)"
My kids can only now say that, but they are 25+ years older than your apprentice.

Great project and results.

Tell me what Osmo is ( I know it is a type of finish; that's all I know) and why you chose that.

Haha! That's awesome. thanks for your kind words.

Osmo is an oil-wax finish. The reasons I chose it are:

1. Super easy to apply and to touch up. Especially when you have a helper. You wipe it on and then wipe off the excess. Very forgiving. Leaves a nice sheen that is not glossy.
2. the finish does a great job of retaining the texture of the wood grain. I like to feel the wood when I touch something I make, not a thick layer of poly/finish.
3. Its not a terribly strong smelling finish, so feel better about using it in a small shop with little people.

KurtB

Kurt
Corporate Member
Nice Job! The woods look great together. What a great experience to do that with your son.
I'm sure that will be in the family for a long time.

Wilsoncb

Williemakeit
Corporate Member
Nice job, that really looks good!

One question, what are the 1x1 pieces on the ends? Looks like they are sort of clamped on between the legs. I’m guessing they stop the smaller books from falling out the side?

danceswithwindows

danceswithwindows
Corporate Member
Nice job, that really looks good!

One question, what are the 1x1 pieces on the ends? Looks like they are sort of clamped on between the legs. I’m guessing they stop the smaller books from falling out the side?
That right. I didn't have time to build the ends of the bookcase how I wanted them, so I made these for now to act as book ends. I have baby #2 coming on Tuesday, so I was under pressure to get done! In about 2 years I should be able to find time to get some sides on there!

John Jimenez

JJ
Corporate Member
Great job making a quality piece of furniture and making quality memories with your boy! The taper cut on the legs add a nice touch as does the two tone woods on the shelves.

Trey1984

Trey
User
Haha! That's awesome. thanks for your kind words.

Osmo is an oil-wax finish. The reasons I chose it are:

1. Super easy to apply and to touch up. Especially when you have a helper. You wipe it on and then wipe off the excess. Very forgiving. Leaves a nice sheen that is not glossy.
2. the finish does a great job of retaining the texture of the wood grain. I like to feel the wood when I touch something I make, not a thick layer of poly/finish.
3. Its not a terribly strong smelling finish, so feel better about using it in a small shop with little people.
Good to know going to have to try it. Always trying to find a way for my little apprentice to help too. But sometimes can be kinda limited in a wood shop. Awesome piece looks great

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS