ARRRRRG!

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
First no JPW. OK I found an alternative bees/carnauba substitute.

Now no SCHELAC! Home despot said " they are getting rid of all oil based products" Of course shellac is ethanol based.

So, I guess I need to buy a few pounds of chips. Never made any. The Zinser can has ethanol, isopropyl, something else and even lists water. Next they will tell me I can't buy the ethanol!

Any advice/experience in making your own? I'll google some tonight but need to get back to my project.

Hint, better load up on enamel paint, paint thinner, naphtha, acetone, and about anything else that is actually useful.

gfernandez

Gonzalo
Corporate Member
First no JPW. OK I found an alternative bees/carnauba substitute.

Now no SCHELAC! Home despot said " they are getting rid of all oil based products" Of course shellac is ethanol based.

So, I guess I need to buy a few pounds of chips. Never made any. The Zinser can has ethanol, isopropyl, something else and even lists water. Next they will tell me I can't buy the ethanol!

Any advice/experience in making your own? I'll google some tonight but need to get back to my project.

Hint, better load up on enamel paint, paint thinner, naphtha, acetone, and about anything else that is actually useful.
Plenty for sale online and local, you just have to look. Lowes, Ace Hardware, Klingspor, Woodcraft all have it in stock. Try searching for Shellac instead.

Robert LaPlaca

Robert
Senior User
Scott, yes you are correct denatured alcohol is getting harder to find in the wild.

The very best product is 190 proof grain alcohol, it’s expensive and hard to find in some counties in NC. I have been using Mohawk Alcohol Reducer M650-0056, it’s the same product that used to be named Behlen Bekhol. I try to find products that have the lowest percentage of Methanol in the can..

By the way the Mohawk product is available at a reasonable price at the Woodworking Shop, sometimes at an unreasonable price at your local Woodcraft.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Think I'll make a trip today. Seems Home Despot no longer carries even alcohol. Only a little still in stock. I use it quite a bit for cleaning.
A hint on several sights "no shipment to California" so the problem is clear.

That explains why we can't get the old Zinsser shellac based primer any more. The new stuff does not work any where near as well. Modern automotive paints I better stop as it would be too easy to fall into a political rant!

Lab mixer might be a good idea. I was also thinking about making a "shake table" with a cheap multi-tool. Kind of a take off of the idea I had to use one to shake my DC filters.

How times change. When I went to WVIT, 190 proof was available by the milk jug. :)

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
If you're really hard up and can't find the GA anywhere else, Your local ABC store usually keeps it behind the counter.......

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
Take a ride down to Jacksonville, there's plenty here. Every time I need DNA I buy 4 gallons. I have noticed shellac based BIN is spotty when you do find it, there are usually on a couple gallons on the shelf.

Mixing flakes is not hard, plus you can get various shades. I recommend you get a grinder especially if you get buttons rather than flakes. I've used the Mohawk shellac reducer mentioned above and think I like it better than plain alcohol. Alternatives are Everclear (liquor store) & I believe you can use 99% isopropyl.

Shellac flakes can be quite expensive. In experience buying is limited to shellac.net There doesn't seem to be much of a selection of dewaxed shellac. Dried shellac runs $35-50/LB. If my math is correct, 1 quart of 2# cut could be $25.

There is a simple process to dewax it that you can do yourself.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Picked up a couple gallons of DNA this morning. I'll search for flakes.

I would hate to pay liquor tac for a solvent. I got a buddy in Tn. I bet he can get it "fresh" by the drum :)

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors