Aromatic Cedar drawer bottoms - Plywood or solid?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cbozz

Chris
User
Just got going on designing a slick modern dresser.

I want to use some aromatic cedar in the drawer boxes but can't seem to come up with a satisfying way to do it.

At first I figured I'd make the whole box (minus the front) out of cedar, but eventually backed off that idea as I think Baltic Birch sides will just look better.

So I'm exploring options for the drawer bottoms. So far I've come across the 3/8" closet lining t&g products, as well as various thicknesses of cedar plywood, and of course just figuring out something using standard stock lumber.

Anybody have any experience with cedar plywood? I'm thinking that a thin veneer won't maintain its pleasant properties as well as solid wood will. The other thing is that this being a modern piece, the fewer knots and color variations the better (which I realize is tough with cedar).

So any suggestions? Curious if anyone has sources for clear(ish) cedar in the triangle region.

Thanks (and Hello!)
C.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Welcome Chris, I agree with you on the Ply not offering much in the way of why you would use Cedar in a drawer or closet. The thin veneer would lose its aromatic properties very quickly, and couldn't be sanded to refresh. Although you will get your best stock grade in your veneer faces and you always could throw a satchel of real Cedar in the drawer for the aroma.
Solid lumber is going to be the best way to go if you don't want to "Martha Stewart" it with the satchels:roll:. The T&G stock is fine but you might be paying more for the extra milling steps. I would go with solid wood glue-up and don't worry too much about the characteristic of Cedar, as for the most of the time the bottom will be covered with whatever is in the drawer.
I would check our Local Sawyers list for folks around you that might have Cedar. If that doesn't pan out check the Wood Suppliers list for retail vendors. It shouldn't be too hard to find, as Cedar is quite common around these parts.
Seeing as you are a new member I would suggest you drop by the Who We Are forum and give us all a little intro to you and what you like to do.

Dave:)

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Chris, I have plenty of eastern red cedar in stock; primarily 5/4 thick and around 4-1/2" - 5" wide, and 10' lengths. There is not a whole lot of "clear" ERC around though...

Send me a PM if you're interested.

Thx.

Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS