Arm-r-Seal hardening in the can

David Justice

David
Corporate Member
I love Arm-r-Seal, but every single time I open the can there is a hardened layer on top that I have to scrape out. This will happen as quickly as overnight. The can isn't damaged and I always close it with a rubber mallet. Why does this happen? How can I stop it?

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
You have to evacuate the air from the container. There is a product I saw on the wood whisperer that you spray in and displaces the oxygen so it wont harden, maybe someone here knows what its called.

McRabbet

Rob
Corporate Member
Use Bloxygen, available from Klingspor's WW Shop. It is a can of inert gas (I believe it is Argon) that you spray into the can as you replace the lid. I've used it for years and have finishes that last and last without any oxidation. One spray can also lasts a long time.

Melinapex

Mark
Corporate Member
Another trick I got from Danmart was to fill the can with marbles to raise the level of the liquid back to the top.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
You can use argon or nitrogen any inert gas that replaces oxygen will work, Helium would work, but your voice might change when you open the can :p

Dee2

Board of Directors, Vice President
Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
Based on molecular weights, I wouldn't recommend helium for displacing oxygen. YMMV.

AllanD

Allan
Corporate Member
I take the hose off my welding tank and use the regulator to gently blow in some gas (usually argon/co2)

David Justice

David
Corporate Member
Thanks for the great tips. I don't have any inert gases laying around, so I think I'll try some of the other tips and order the Bloxygen.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS