Arm-R-Seal for a small bathroom vanity

Ericlassiter18

New User
Eric Lassiter
I am building a floating vanity for a client and I have come to the point of applying a final finish. The couple wanted me to repurpose some wood (pine) from the old doors that were in the house before they started their renovations. I built the vanity with two large drawers out of the wood and stained it with three coats of General finishes water based stain.

The overall dimensions of the countertop are 18" x 22", and the sink is a 16.25" x 16.25" vessel sink, so there wont be much of the wood countertop exposed after it is installed. The faucet is going to be wall mounted. I want to know whether it is okay to just use Arm-r-seal for the finish, probably thinking 3 coats, or if I need to use some sort of seal coat under it. I am open to any suggestions from the community!

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Ericlassiter18

New User
Eric Lassiter
Arm R seal is a sealing product, but Im not sure how well it will go over a water based stain. I know GF has several topcoats, look at their website.
From what I saw online it seemed like it would be okay overtop of a water based stain, I was mainly concerned with how well it would hold up to the moisture of a bathroom. I have some penetrating epoxy left over from a previous project and saw online some talk of using that followed by arm-r-seal to increase water resistance. Never finished a project like this so I want to make sure I produce something that is going to stand up for years to come.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
I used Waterlox marine. 5-6 years , no issues. It took several coats and needs 24 hours between coats.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
I used ArmR Seal in a bathroom before, like Waterlox it need 4-6 coats with 8-24 hrs between depending on temperature and humidity.

Going over a water based stain is not a problem provided- The stain is fully dry no residual moisture and the stain does not have any silicone in it.

baraboyz

New User
baraboyz
And the wood should tell when it comes in contact with water, or do you use a special coating to protect the wood from water? If so, how long will it last? I just decided to make a good repair in the bathroom and I want to make shelves out of wood, but because of the humidity, the wood can deteriorate. I have already found all the other elements in the bathroom, bought a new shower, sink, and toilets. The toilet and all the elements of repair were searched on sites like this toto toilets where there is the necessary information. And there is no information about the bathroom shelves, maybe you can help me and advise me on the wood coating I need?

Last edited:

mquan01

Mike
Corporate Member
plain waterlox (2 sealer, 2 regular), same finish on all sides - in the kitchen, no issues after 10 years

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS