Are we entering a hand tool Renaissance?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CatButler

New User
Bryan
I've only been seriously into hand tool use for a few years, but it seems that we may be moving into a new age of hand tools. It just seems like there are now more options. Stanley and Wood River seem to be working to produce a usable, user grade tool. Chris Schwartz seems to be moving more and more to the light side. Jim Tolpin of Table Saw Magic fame is selling his power tools and devoting his next book to hand tools.

Internationally, traditional Chinese and Japanese tools are becoming more available and truly modern manufacturing technologies are turning out better tools. There's some attempts to combine traditional tools such as frame saws with Japanese blades (I have my own experiment going on with this that I will be posting about soon). Here's an attempt to put a Japanese sawblade on a classic handsaw that can cut on the put and pull stroke. http://www.mehr-als-werkzeug.de/product/712090/Turbo-Cut-Hand-Saw-330/detail.jsf (Sadly, doesn't seem to be available in the US).

Before it seemed like hand tool guys were Galoots and Neanderthals, living in the old days, but more and more it seems like there will be a place for hand tools in the modern shop. I expect some of these thing to fail, but it just seems like there is innovation going on for the first time in a while.

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Some interesting observations. I'm rather into this topic, so forgive my lengthy commentary :)

I think we stand at the starting gate in a race to the 18th Century. Not the 19th, not the 20th.

My dime store historical research tells me that the 18th Century was the high point of hand tool furniture making. It was before the wide spread adoption of both steam and eventually electric motor driven tools. It also was a time before the major innovations in steel production and the Industrial Revolution.

As many say, "if they had it they'd have used it".

Well, in the 18th Century, they didn't have it. So they were using hand tools to build furniture. Their processes and tools had to be as efficient as possible with the tools and labor available.

The innovation that was/is the Industrial Revolution, from a hand tool perspective, had a far greater focus on Carpentry. The Disston saw is night and day different than examples from the 18th Century from handle placement to tooth geometry.

Another case, the Stanley line of planes were mostly bedded at 45 degrees. Well, that is a great compromise angle, but one best suited to working in softer woods. Such as, oh, construction and trim wood.

Many of the examples from the 18th Century are bedded at 50 or even 55 degrees. That higher angle works markedly better on furniture grade woods like walnut or cherry.

One reason I think the Japanese style of tools have been so easily adopted is that they were (and are) designed for hand tool woodworking. They don't show the same change in direction that "western" tools show. Its easiest to look at how long the tradition of the Japanese Blacksmiths has remained largely unchanged.

For us, today, I think the great works of Roy Underhill and Chris Schwarz are leading the way back. I also think that Adam Cherubini, and others like him, will go a long way in rediscovering the workflows and tools that are appropriate to hand tool furniture making.

Modern materials, manufacturing and engineering is going to go a long way in helping. The dearth of new makers turning out the highest quality hand tools we've seen in hundreds of years is thrilling.

I hope we also see the same modern minds and materials focus on the workflows that open the door for us to use these tools in the efficient manner in which they work.

Sadly, unlike the tools of old, the knowledge of old is mostly lost to us. What few books were written came on the tail end of that era. Add to it the trader were strongly controlled by the Guild systems that did not share information freely :)

Its my hope that with the large number of minds and eyes looking at this, the internet will help us collectively create processes that both restore and create the workflows that make hand tool work both effective and efficient.

Not to replace powered tools in any stretch, but to give us more choices and options.

Think of the apartment or condo dweller who wants to work with wood but is under the impression they cannot do so without a fully stocked shop full of power tools? I've heard many a potential woodworker say that very thing.

What about the real issues of safety and dust? While they exist in any activity, they are dramatically different when you hold up hand and power methodologies.

What is sad, is we are faced with undoing two hundred years of poor hand tools and trying to use carpentry tools on fine furniture work.

But, gosh, it sure is a great time to be part of this latest installment of Back to the Future!

Jim

jhreed

New User
james
Another positive for hand tools is the noise. I do not know of a single case where you need hearing protection when working wood with hand tools. The same goes to a lesser degree for dust control.
James

CatButler

New User
Bryan
Think of the apartment or condo dweller who wants to work with wood but is under the impression they cannot do so without a fully stocked shop full of power tools? I've heard many a potential woodworker say that very thing.

Jim

I have put in more than a little thought if there is a business opportunity in there somewhere. It's got to be a better job than I'm doing now.

Larry Rose

New User
Larry Rose
After years of spending more than I want my wife to know about on power tools, I find myself using more and more hand tools (and buying more). I still do all the rough work on the power tools because I'm not into sweating all that much. I know it sounds crazy but for me using sharp and well tuned hand tools is very relaxing and mind clearing.

CatButler

New User
Bryan
Another positive for hand tools is the noise. I do not know of a single case where you need hearing protection when working wood with hand tools. The same goes to a lesser degree for dust control.
James

My father could fire up a circular saw and cut a board in a small, closed garage. I couldn't even stand to be in there. Part of that was 6 years in the engine room of a destroyer, but quite a bit was macho attitude and not using proper hearing protection. I'm very sensitive to hearing. I could tell with both him and my father-in-law that it was very isolating to them to have a room full of their family laughing about something and they couldn't hear what was being talked about.

zapdafish

New User
Steve
I think having the time to get good with hand tools is a luxury as it takes alot of practice. It's pretty frustrating when you have a few days a month to try and get something done and to do it with hand tools. Thats when I decided to go the way of the power tool. At least then I could plan on cutting parts out one week and then coming back a few weeks later to assemble them.

IMO, getting started into hand tools is also very difficult if you are on a low budget and without someone who can help out. Books and videos aren't that great for teaching this stuff. If your planes aren't sharp and tuned up correctly, you aren't going to get anything done ( personal experience, hehe).

CatButler

New User
Bryan
I think having the time to get good with hand tools is a luxury as it takes alot of practice. It's pretty frustrating when you have a few days a month to try and get something done and to do it with hand tools. Thats when I decided to go the way of the power tool. At least then I could plan on cutting parts out one week and then coming back a few weeks later to assemble them.

IMO, getting started into hand tools is also very difficult if you are on a low budget and without someone who can help out. Books and videos aren't that great for teaching this stuff. If your planes aren't sharp and tuned up correctly, you aren't going to get anything done ( personal experience, hehe).

I don't want to get much into a hand tool vs power tool debate, I'm just excited we are starting to see more options available on the hand tool front. I think everyone can agree that there's a place for hand tools is every shop whether it is just a card scraper or bench chisel.

lottathought

New User
Michael
I think yes. We are in a hand tool renaissance.
And I think we have the internet to thank for it.

You can quickly go to sites like this...do any research on any technique, tool or craft.
These were things that you often had to be an apprentice..or at least in the field to learn only a couple of decades ago.

This has made it possible for hobbyist and even the casually interested to learn almost anything.

michaelgarner

New User
Michael
I started my apprenticeship using a #5 Stanley making a board relatively flat. Wess would come over every few minutes and correct my stance, look at how bad i was destroying the blade, and then take the plane and produce a whisper thin shaving (something I couldn't do for a couple weeks, I was 18 leave me alone).
I was taught that machines were the "Grunts" of woodworking and cabinetry. That using a jointer, planer, table-saw left more time for a craftsman to fine-tune his project with finishing tools like planes, shaves, chisels etc. Even though we used a jointer (it was a huge 16in monster) I was taught to throw a jointer plane on my boards to finish the edge. I remember a million lessons Wess told me, or scalded into me. He was a third generation cabinetmaker, his great something or other immigrated into America with only their tradesman tools. I was blessed to have that time where I had someone teach me the proper way to use a lot of hand tools.
Tough at the time being such a young boy I thought the edge's off the jointer were good enough, and it very well could have been. But I can tell you because I had to do it to all the boards coming off the Jointer that it became second nature to grab the ol' #7 and shoot a crisp edge down it that was parallel to the face.
There is so much to learn out there though, when I get back from Iraq I am looking forward to implementing some chip carving into a couple designs. Well anyway, great thread folks. I look forward to learning from everyone. Have a blessed day.

Dragon

New User
David
I've got almost as many hand tools as I do power tools. Or is that the other way around?:eusa_thin I hope some of the mods, (and members), don't view this as political in nature but, I think the resurgence in hand tools and techniques goes a bit deeper than just nostalgia. I think that in each of us there's a sort of 6th sense that tells us something needs doing.(Reference link for information: http://www.themystica.com/mystica/articles/a/akashic_records.htm) With the current state of financial and other troubles around the world, we may be "sensing" that the coming years could get tricky as far as power availability and that gut instinct is telling us to sharpen our skills in other areas.

Personally, I've always found a sense of satisfaction in doing something the "old way" and getting it right. Well, usable might be a better word in some cases. Unfortunately at my age, felling a tree with a good ax is out of the question if I'm wanting it down in under a month.:eek: Hollowing out a log with a brace and bit and chisels ain't happening either.:no: I do use a handsaw a good bit lately and have come to master the art of cutting a mostly straight line where I want it.:icon_thum I enjoy working with hand tools as well as power tools but something about setting one's hand to a task and watching it take form and function is psychologically satisfying. Kinda like camping alone and starting a fire from basics and then relaxing in the night.

Many folks here relish in using their hand tools and create art to a degree that I can only dream of right now. Maybe one day.....:widea: I'd vote for a renewed interest in hand tools and their use, especially by some of the younger ones that still have the time available to master them.

jglord

New User
John
In my work and that of many students and customers, I think people find there is a good synergy between hand and power tools.

I'd hate to try and rip 8/4 cherry into consistently sized lengths to make a set of table legs or to cut consistent tapers on the legs. To get the legs really smooth, IMHO, nothing does a better job than a well tuned and sharp hand plane. Another example is when preparing boards to glue-up a table top. I use a jointer to square and remove any curve in the board edges. To really get a clean edge for a glue-up, nothing beats a few passes with a #7 plane.

I can cut joints to pretty tight tolerances with a router and/or table saw, but a plane and maybe some sharp chisels will refine the joinery for a really tight fit.

Another example is when fitting doors to a cabinet. My students often find they need to trim less than 1/4" total from 4 sides (i.e. less than 1/32" from each side) of a pair of doors. Trying to set a table saw or jointer to do this would be very difficult. Doing this with a plane not only gives a really clean edge but also can easily be controlled to remove a very small amount from each side.

In observing customer and student work, the addition of hand tools seems to be a maturation process. People seem to learn they need hand tools to get really great results. I also read somewhere that the old times would keep their block plane in their apron pocket to do very fine trimming to cuts.

Besides all of this, it is really satisfying to use hand tools to get those really fine shavings. In fact it seems to quickly become addictive. :rolf:

SSuther

New User
Stan
I've been developing my hand tool interest and skills since the early days of St. Roy. I think he really sparked the renewed interest in hand tools, and the internet came along and really energized it. The Schwarz has recently fanned the flames even further. I thank them both as well as all the bloggers out there and forum experts who add to our knowledge. Most of us do it just because there's lots of satisfaction in learning how to make a tool sing. Happiness is a big pile of shavings!

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
I have my large power tools and will always keep them, but my hand power tools such as sanders, power planer, routers and such are slowly being put aside. At this point in my life I am not going to rip boards by hand because it takes much longer than using a tablesaw, but I will cut dovetails on one drawer or use chisels and planes to clean up my work instead of breaking out a router and jig or belt sander and ROS. Handtool use has a certain zen to it, it's calming and gives extreme satisfaction to me, so yes I am a believer in the handtool renaissance to a certain degree:icon_thum.

But make no mistake about it being cheaper, for the price of a cabinet tablesaw you can barely buy a half dozen quality planes from L-N.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Renaissance might not be the correct term. I think there is a growing segment of the WW population that enjoys "doing things the old fashion way".

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
I believe we are experiencing a resurgence of hand tool use. This will fuel the manufacturers to provide what the customer wants/needs. Decent quality tools at a (relatively) reasonable cost- I hope.
Whatever the cause I like it. I want to use both when best applicable. No matter what the tool is, it is only as good as the operator.

Dean Maiorano

New User
Dino
Whatever the cause for the resurgence it is nice to see. My gut tells me that somewhere in the mix is the 'green' aspect of hand tool use.

Maybe someday in the future we'll see a resurgence in respect for the skilled laborer that uses the tools, power or otherwise.

Dean

Last edited:

Shamrock

New User
Michael
I think it's a combination of the right people talking about and promoting hand tool use (ie. Chris Schwartz, Economaki, Underhill, etc.) and the re-appearance of toolmakers making truly classic quality tools (Bridge City Toolworks, Blue Spruce, Lie Nielson, etc.)

Just my .02

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
A lot of interesting points...

I like lots of things about them.

They will still work after decades in an attic or other poor storage. They may need cleaning and sharpening, but those are things that aren't hard to do and are part of normal maintenance.

You can store a lot of functionality in a small space. Look at a stocked toolbox of a joiner or finish carpenter.

They are generally quiet, though I own a few that make some racket in use (large mallet tools).

They are generally less like to cause serious injury, though minor injuries may actually be more common. I have never heard of anyone losing a finger to a hand saw, but nearly every user gives a little blood from the occasional minor cut.

It's nice that you can use them anywhere, whether there is power or not. Whether you want to be "green", prepared for power outages or just like working in more primitive conditions, that's a good thing.

I am drawn to things medieval. I am not sure why; I just am. Woodworking is a hobby to me. Even though I hope to semi-retire doing it someday, it won't be that important to me to produce work quickly. So I should do it the way I enjoy most. That doesn't mean I won't use power. Some parts of stock prep I will almost always do by power.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Whatever the cause for the resurgence it is nice to see.
It may not be that complicated. We have a large number of people retiring that finally have time for a hobby. Most of them have a little money saved away, and are freeing up some space with the kids out of the house. Simply put, I think the number of woodworkers is growing. That means the market is growing.

For years, woodworkers had to rely on tools developed for the contractor market. Now that developing tools for woodworkers is economically feasible, suddenly we see new low angle block planes, table saws with good dust collection, Japanese dovetail saws, and combo jointer/ planer machines aimed at the hobbyist.

Some may disagree with me on this point, but I think that quality is more important than hand tools than in power tools. You can get reasonable results with a mid-range lunchbox planer, but dimensioning rough lumber with a cheap Stanley or Buck Bros plane, that's a tall order. And then there is sharpening. The WorkSharp 3000 is a prime example of a tool aimed at the hobbyist. It needed a large enough hand tool market for it to be viable, and in turn it is now advancing that same market.

What will be really interesting to see is where the larger tool manufacturers are going. Stanley has brought back the Sweetheart line of planes, which are no Lie-Nielsen but not junk either. More products in the mid-range space (just like we have Ridgid between Skil & Festool) will really help more people discover hand tools without having to drop too much money from the start (the upgrades will happen later....).

Roy Underhill, Chris Schwartz etc. are certainly fulfilling a need, but I don't think they're really creating the need. I mean, Roy has been doing his show for about 154 years now, and it's not as if he's suddenly changed his format. I do think a turning point was Roy Underhill's article in PWW not too long ago. When a woodworking magazine (small audience) can afford to run an article that focuses entirely on hand tools (even smaller audience), you know something significant is happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS