Are all mats created equally?

Status
Not open for further replies.

clowman

Clay Lowman
Corporate Member
Talking about anti fatigue mats. Is an anti fatigue mat an anti fatigue mat? Anything specific one should look for in a mat? Other than fatigue that is...

Jonz

New User
Chris Jones
Seems most of the interlocking ones I see are about the same. I have some in front of my TS that I'm taking out, they are a pain in the butt to keep clean and sweep around. I'll leave the ones by the bench probably since that's where I do the most standing.

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Clay, I have a couple different types. I have a few that I picked up on sale at Woodcraft last year which are a cushiony dense foam with a slight taper on the edges. They are comfortable and seem to help my back and knees when standing for at the bench for a long time. The others I have are a couple of heavy, tough rubber mats almost an inch thick which are actually designed to be used in either horse stalls or trailers. They are big, 4' x 6', but I ripped mine down the center with a circular saw to give me a couple of 2' wide mats. I believe the LOML picked these ones up at one of those big agricultural stores. They work well to insulate your feet when standing on a cold floor but I don't believe they work as well as the cushioned mats when standing for a long time. Ditto Jonz comment about being a pain to sweep around at times. I have seen some mats that are rubber with an open grid pattern that I would recommend staying away from based on the fact that the grid would fill up quickly with all that saw dust we all have a tendency to produce.

D L

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I have one with the open grid pattern in front of my bench. It was a freebie out of a restaurant that was closing. It beats standing on the concrete, and the grid pattern does tend to collect dust, but also all the little pieces-parts and hardware that I drop, instead of them bouching randomly somewhere I'll never find. I wouldn't have bought it but you can't beat free, and I just lift it up occasionally and vacuum underneath it. Dave:)

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
DaveO said:
the grid pattern does tend to collect dust, but also all the little pieces-parts and hardware that I drop, instead of them bouching randomly somewhere I'll never find. Dave:)

Good point Dave, I don't know how many times I have had to get down on my hands and knees to search for a missing screw. Its amazing just how far those things can bounce sometimes. I must admit being free is always a hard price to beat.:icon_thum

D L

Steve D

Steve DeWeese
I also have one of the open grid types and as Dave O indicated, cleanup is pretty easy and it's pretty comfortable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS