April 2017 Contest: Post pictures of a sitting apparatus you have built

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael Mathews

Michael
Corporate Member
OK, for April...Post photos of a sitting apparatus you have built! Not limited to chairs. Stools, benches welcome!

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
How about a nursery glider. Built as a belated wedding present for my nephew. He moved to France for a couple years right after getting married to I waited for them to get back to the US before building it.

Repaired_Glider_-_Copy.jpg

Made out of genuine mahogany purchased at Klingspor. While in France his first daughter was born.

Happy_Great_Niece_-_Copy.jpg

Chris C

Chris
Senior User
A (semi) matched pair of Morris chairs I made for my boys. Walnut with white oak corbels and drawbore pegs. All hand-cut M&T joints.

20170402_121707.jpg

20170402_122434.jpg

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
That's just playing dirty Ken, sitting that sweet young lady in the glider. BTW, that glider is a dandy!

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Glider I built for a niece. One shot unfinished, one after she finished it multi-colored!

IMG_1381.jpgIMG_1405.jpg

cyclopentadiene

Update your profile with your name
User
This photo is my most recent finished piece that was commissioned as a birthday gift for a 75th birthday. The Maloof Low back chair was made of quartersawn walnut with ebony accents and finished with satin Waterlox finish. The piece was custom designed as the individual is over 6'5" tall and we carefully orchestrated his daughters taking various measurements without him having a clue that he was getting a custom fitted chair. This was not my first chair of this design.

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/data/500/image71.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

AL Spicer

New User
Al
[h=1]This is a replica of a John &Thomas Seymour chair that is a companion piece to a Seymour Lady’s Tambour Secretary. It is made of mahogany with satinwood inlay on the rail crest and legs set off by surrounds of black/white stringing. The styles and rear legs have reeding along with each banister that terminates at the crest rail with hand-carved fans. The seat is upholstered the old way with springs, twine and padding. It is finished with lacquer and hand-rubbed to a high gloss. [/h]

chair5.jpg

[h=1] [/h]
rail.jpg

Attachments

• chair.jpg
    chair.jpg
    860.8 KB · Views: 167

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
Built lots of chairs, but this one took the most time.

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_0750.jpg
    IMG_0750.jpg
    425.7 KB · Views: 399

NTCook

New User
Nick
Here are the chairs I just finished up last week. I wrapped up the seats on 2 of them this morning and the other 4 will have to wait because shaker tape weaving is not my hobby of choice.
These are the first chairs I have had the chance to make but a windsor is in my near future.
attachment.php

attachment.php

And two in-progress shots.
attachment.php

attachment.php

The lumber was all milled from a willow oak that fell on a pasture down the road from us. It sat for 2-3 months so you can see some worm holes. Everything straight was also steamed when I steam-bent the legs to sterilize the bugs. Pins are walnut leftovers. The top most rungs all look discolored because they are left mostly unvarnished to help prevent the seat weave from sliding. Everything is shaped by hand with the exception of the rungs that were turned on the lathe to near final dimensions and then spoke shaven for texture.

Remember to vote Ladderback 2017, Make Chairs Great Again.

Attachments

• 20170412_065409.jpg
    20170412_065409.jpg
    500.2 KB · Views: 370
  • 20170412_070208.jpg
    20170412_070208.jpg
    448.7 KB · Views: 368
  • 20170220_071246.jpg
    20170220_071246.jpg
    545.7 KB · Views: 368
  • 20170206_175130.jpg
    20170206_175130.jpg
    544.7 KB · Views: 371

thrt15nc

New User
Tom
Three Morris chairs that I built. All three using oak from Scott Smith. The first one on the far right I did about 5 or 6 years ago. The other two were built at the same time about a year ago.

attachment.php

Tom Swortzel

Attachments

• 3 Morris chairs (2).jpg
    3 Morris chairs (2).jpg
    228.1 KB · Views: 346

thrt15nc

New User
Tom
Thanks Nick. I've almost got the build down by now. :) If you get going with one, I've got the form for curving the arm rests. It looks like you're a ways away from me, but you're welcome to use it if you like.

Tom

jlimey

Jeff
Corporate Member
Mottled makore and wenge bench with hand-cut mitered dovetails. I'm afraid that the photos don't do the wood justice. The figure dances in the right light!
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• bench3.jpg
    bench3.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 259
  • bench6.jpg
    bench6.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 264
  • bench5.jpg
    bench5.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 250
  • bench7.jpg
    bench7.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 267

bowman

Board of Directors, Webmaster
Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
All beautiful work guys. The stool I built isn't even in the same class as all that has been submitted. Here it is anyway.
attachment.php
. It's made out of cedar, and coated with 4 layers of glossy lacquer.

Attachments

• 20170418_130518.jpg
    20170418_130518.jpg
    185.7 KB · Views: 241
Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS