Applied bead edge for cabinet

Status
Not open for further replies.

tjgreen

New User
Tim
I'm trying to find a source for applied bead edging (a long strip of bead) for the inside of a cabinet face frame. Saw it referenced in a cabinet book, but I can't find a local source. Anybody know who might carry it in the area?

Tim

TracyB

New User
Tracy
I'm trying to find a source for applied bead edging (a long strip of bead) for the inside of a cabinet face frame. Saw it referenced in a cabinet book, but I can't find a local source. Anybody know who might carry it in the area?

Tim

Hi Tim,
I remember seeing some at Lowes in Lenoir.Not sure if all Lowes stocks it or not. they had several different profiles. I think they were all poplar, so would only work if it was a painted cabinet. Would it be possibly for you to rout the bead on the same species of wood and rip it on a table saw. Just a thought.
TracyB

tjgreen

New User
Tim
I thought of ripping, but was trying to save the hassle. I checked Lowes here in Wake Forest, no dice - guess I'll keep looking or invest in an edge beading router bit.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I think Lowes and/or HD stock some say 1/4 thick by 1 1/2" stock, but it isn't beaded. Personally, I make my own. A small beading bit for a router isn't expensive and it is something I find I use pretty regularly.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
I'd use my Sears molding head, along with the triple fluting cutters. Bury two of the flutes in a sacrificial fence, and form bead. Turn board to other edge and repeat. Using one of the other saws rip bead from stock, and then repeat as much as necessary. I knew there was a reason to own more than one saw, but six is too many - maybe? What kind of wood are you using, and how much beading do you need? Bruce

tjgreen

New User
Tim
Unfortunately, I don't have a Sears molding head or musical cutters, so I'm just gonna go with my router on this one. I'm using poplar since I'm painting them. As for how much, quite a bit - I plan to build about 16 ft of cabinets/shelves on one wall, and bench seats w/ drawers along the opposite wall, with a beaded edge on the inside of all the cabinet and drawer openings.

Is there such a thing as too many saws? I've been building the bench seats/drawer boxes this week, and really wishing I had one or two more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS