Apothecary Cabinet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ralrick

New User
Rick
Just finished an Apothecary Cabinet for my son who is into herbal teas and medicines. I made the outer cabinet with locking rabbet joints (didn't have the confidence to try dovetails with such long board) and then the grid has the horizontal boards set in dados with each intersection being an interlocking lap joint. The overall cabinet is about 7 1/2 feet long by 5 feet tall and a little over 6" in depth.

Assembly did test my patience but I did get it together without any 're-cuts' just a little help from a persuasion mallet :D

Apothecary Cabinet.JPG

thsb

New User
Tim
Wow. that is impressive. Do i count 118 separate storage areas? What a great thing to create for your son.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Really nice Rick!
Does he sell the teas and medicines, meaning is he a mixoligist (or whatever they call an herbalist)

Turtlewood

New User
Kevin
Very nice. It fits the space well.

We have a matching set of two Apothecary cabinets that my wife's parents brought from China. The drawer faces look nice, hand carved letting, I wouldn't have the patience to make them though.

Attachments

• Apothecary.jpg
    Apothecary.jpg
    155.5 KB · Views: 92

Ralrick

New User
Rick
Wow Kevin - I couldn't imagine making all those drawers and with that detail!

For my cabinet, I just used 3/4 Clear Pine for the case, 1/2" Birch plywood for the grid, and then more pine to cut facing for the plywood edges. To make the interlocking lap joints fit, I made a small spacing template that registered off the first cut on the horizontal boards so as long as I had the length consistent and the first cut in the same spot on each horizontal board I was pretty confident in getting all the horizontal boards to match. For the vertical boards, I marked them by setting them into the dado's on the horizontal boards and amazingly everything fit with just a little persuasion.

It does have 118 openings and all but 5 or 6 I think were filled already. Our son just does this as a hobby - he started with some herbal teas because of some headaches. He had good success with it so his interest expanded into additional herbs and their effects. I have not tried any of it so can't endorse or deny it.

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
Very nice. It fits the space well.

We have a matching set of two Apothecary cabinets that my wife's parents brought from China. The drawer faces look nice, hand carved letting, I wouldn't have the patience to make them though.
That is gorgeous!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS