Anywhere around Raleigh sell hickory?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cubicdissection

New User
Eric
Need to buy some strong wood for the frame of a new puzzle box tomorrow. I'll let my fingers do the walkin', but I thought maybe someone would know offhand who stocks hickory in the Ralieigh area? I generally just go to Klingspoor but I don't ever remember seeing it there...

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
They sell it at Walmart it's usually over by the charcoal

Depending on the size of your puzzle Jeff might not be too far off. And even if you don't get pieces big enough you can always use it as an excuse to BBQ!

I've had some chunks come out of those bags big enough for two or three pens. (But alas I didn't have a lathe at the time and the pork shoulder needed more smoke)

J

jeff...

I wasn't really trying to be funny - those hickory chips might just work for you and the are dry too.

Bob Buchholz

New User
Bob Buchholz
You might have more luck finding Pecan in this area. If they are not side-by-side you would be hard pressed to tell the difference. (I found out the hard way that if they ARE side-by-side there IS a difference).:BangHead:

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
Ever thought about Ash? It is really hard. But relatively easy to work with.

cubicdissection

New User
Eric
Meh, went to klingspors and bought some purpleheart....heck of a deal at $4.99 per BF for 8/4!

Actually I ended up with Purpleheart, quilted maple, jatobe, walnut and they got a nice shipment of bloodwood in too. I hate being a lumber junky! :mrgreen:

willarda

New User
Bill Anderson
I have about 400 bf of hickory, mostly clear, that I had bandsawed up into 4/4 and 6/4 stock abut 4 years ago. It has been airdrying under cover (a frame I built off the ground). I have not surfaced it and the edges are waney, although the ends have been painted. I have used a bit of it for varioius projects. I am willing to sell some. Maybe $2/bf?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS