anyone want some pine logs???

Status
Not open for further replies.

taandctran

New User
Thanh Tran
I'm clearing off a little more of the woods behind my house. I have some decent size pine logs. I know they aren't that good for anything besides 2x4's and such.:dontknow: but if anyone has any use for them you are welcome to them. There are 2 right now but there will probaly be 8 to 10 when I get done. :gar-Bi I just hate to let these things sit and rot if someone has some use for them.

taandctran

New User
Thanh Tran
I cut them at decent lenghts (over 8 feet) I'm guessing they are around 18 inches in diameter. There is a couple that are bigger then the others.

Dragon

New User
David
Might(?) make some decent tables. I haven't worked with any pine yet but I have my eye:wink_smil on one good sized tree here that is listing about 20 degrees to east so it might just hafta come down.:eusa_thin Only thing that bothers me about pine is the amount of resin/sap that has to come out before it's useable and somewhat stable.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
. I haven't worked with any pine yet but I have my eye:wink_smil on one good sized tree here that is listing about 20 degrees to east so it might just hafta come down.:eusa_thin

David, if that three has been listing for a long time I would advise you to NOT have it milled.

Leaning trees have a significant amount of "stress wood" and they tend to move all over the place as they dry. Somewhat similar to limbs - just about impossible to make usable lumber from. Even after you dry them, as you machine the wood the stresses continue to apply themselves and the wood keeps moving.

If the tree has only been leaning for a short while, then it may be worth considering.

Re the pine pitch, the only way to get rid of it on SYP is to have your boards "heat treated" for several hours in order to crystalize the pitch. Typically this operation is performed at 160F.

AD SYP can and will bleed sap in the future.

Regards,

Scott

Ken Massingale

New User
Ken
David, if that three has been listing for a long time I would advise you to NOT have it milled.

Leaning trees have a significant amount of "stress wood" and they tend to move all over the place as they dry. Somewhat similar to limbs - just about impossible to make usable lumber from. Even after you dry them, as you machine the wood the stresses continue to apply themselves and the wood keeps moving.

If the tree has only been leaning for a short while, then it may be worth considering.

Re the pine pitch, the only way to get rid of it on SYP is to have your boards "heat treated" for several hours in order to crystalize the pitch. Typically this operation is performed at 160F.

AD SYP can and will bleed sap in the future.

Regards,

Scott

Leaners like to Barber Chair too. :eusa_pray :no:

Dragon

New User
David

Leaning trees have a significant amount of "stress wood" and they tend to move all over the place as they dry. Somewhat similar to limbs - just about impossible to make usable lumber from. Even after you dry them, as you machine the wood the stresses continue to apply themselves and the wood keeps moving.Scott

Thanks for the info and advice Scott. I wasn't planing on having any milling done. If anything, I was thinking about maybe using the butt end and stump section as table making materials. The rest of it I'd probably end up burning or cutting up for garden section dividers.

If you or any other sawyers out there might be interested in some Poplar for milling, I might be able to hook you up. Let me know and if interested, I can post up some pics and give you an idea of what I have and what kind of access there is to them. We can negotiate terms later.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Leaners like to Barber Chair too. :eusa_pray :no:

Sometimes a strap and wedge helps that... see "3. Trees with Forward Lean" and "4. Trees with Back Lean"

http://web.extension.uiuc.edu/fores...ng/UIUC_Tims_Tips_Chainsaw_Safety/backcut.pdf

I had a WO recently that just simply would not fall, it eventually did but only with a gust of wind. It fell the direction I wanted, but gave me the oh sh.. feeling just watching it stand there on the stump. Needless to say there was no stress in those logs :)

Ya'll be careful - don't want to be reading about you in the papers - ok

Thanks

PChristy

New User
Phillip
I talked to the sawer today that I was going to get to cut these for me and I told him what I wanted to do with these and the ones that my neighbor has - I would have to pay him to cut them then I would have to air dry them then finish them off with the Kiln - but if I was to use them to build my shop and not get a permit and then some neighbor that sees me building it that doesn't like me very well - you know where that would put me - tearing everything back down - I think that I will pass - I wish that I could use them but I think I had better use the right lumber for my shop - I sure do not want to tear it down after I have waited for a new one -

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
I talked to the sawer today that I was going to get to cut these for me and I told him what I wanted to do with these and the ones that my neighbor has - I would have to pay him to cut them then I would have to air dry them then finish them off with the Kiln - but if I was to use them to build my shop and not get a permit and then some neighbor that sees me building it that doesn't like me very well - you know where that would put me - tearing everything back down - I think that I will pass - I wish that I could use them but I think I had better use the right lumber for my shop - I sure do not want to tear it down after I have waited for a new one -

Good thing Noah didn't live in this day and age hu? Yep your gotta have to pay the man many times over.

PChristy

New User
Phillip
Good thing Noah didn't live in this day and age hu? Yep your gotta have to pay the man many times over.

I wonder if I could round up some of that Gopher wood like Noah used and try to build it - wonder if it would pass inspection:gar-La;

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
I wonder if I could round up some of that Gopher wood like Noah used and try to build it - wonder if it would pass inspection:gar-La;

Only if it's blue printed, permit approved, inspected and the lumber is stamped would it stand a chance. Like I said your gonna pay the man many times over. After it's built your gonna have to continue to pay the man every year, till the flood comes.

Dragon

New User
David

I think if I spent MY money and MY time to throw together a shop building in MY backyard, it would not be a good idea for either the busybody neighbor or the "man" to visit me and suggest that I tear it down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS