Anyone tried Odie's Oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rick M

New User
Rick
I mentioned on another forum that it was too expensive for an oil finish and the only way I'd try it was if I somehow got a free sample. Well guess what showed up on my doorstep today... a free sample.

http://www.odiesoil.com/odies-oil-original/

They make a lot of claims:
Food Safe, Solvent Free, Non-Toxic, Natural Wood Finish and Stabilizer. Easy to Use. Lustrous Sheen In One Coat. Up to 20 Times The Coverage As Conventional Finishes!

My wife (who knows little or nothing about wood finishes but has a first rate sniffer) took a whiff and said, "Beeswax, lemon oil, and something else." The "something else" I believe is turpentine. Makes sense, beeswax and lemon oil are both common wood finishes, the turp to thin it down a bit. We'll see how it works this weekend.

Rick M

New User
Rick
It was cold and wet and my shop is unheated so I didn't try the finish today but I got a nasty message from the owner for making the above post, going so far as to accuse me of libel. Too bad, I had really positive feelings toward the company after sending me a sample. Opportunity blown.

Edit: and to be clear, I am only speculating on the ingredients based on the odor, my comments were not meant as derogatory but informative. The problem with keeping ingredients secret is that it invites speculation, I welcome Odies to come forward and list the ingredients. Odie tells me there is no turpentine in the product, fair enough. I am not infallible. Odie, tells me my comments were reported to him as derogatory... to that person: you did no one a favor and if you have experience with the product and believe I was in error feel free to come forward with your own impressions. Odie's willingness to send me a sample demonstrated confidence in his product and I was expecting to have a really positive impression. Unfortunately by misrepresenting my post you put Odie in a position he was clearly not experienced enough to handle well and he didn't. So in the long run the sneak did Odie and the product a great disservice.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS